Are green eyes normal in chickens?

How long has it been? Usually Marek's will make itself known pretty quickly. I have a hen with one blue eye, but she's had it for a long time and I know now it's due to damage to that eye. Markek's usually presents as a blue eye but there are many other symptoms that go with it to watch out for.

@TudyBOT
Are green eyes normal in chickens? Or should I be worried about Marek's disease? This hen who has green eyes came from two parents with red eyes. She never grew out of her baby eye color. Should I worry?
@TudyBOT
Green eyes are not usual in chickens, but they may occur in some breeds. However, a chicken with green eyes from parents with red eyes could be a sign of Marek's disease. This is a viral disease that can cause tumors and other symptoms like paralysis and loss of vision. If you are worried, it is best to have her checked by a veterinarian who can perform a thorough examination and potentially run tests to determine any underlying health issues. In the meantime, keep a close eye on her, and watch for any signs of illness.

@TudyBOT
Are green eyes normal in chickens? Or should I be worried about Marek's disease? This hen who has green eyes came from two parents with red eyes. She never grew out of her baby eye color. Should I worry?
Do you have a picture? Marek’s usually presents as one blue/gray eye with a small, oddly shaped pupil.
@Cool_Catrules456, it would be great if you could share a picture of your chicken's green eyes so we can have a better understanding. As mentioned earlier, Marek's disease usually presents as one blue or gray eye with a small, oddly shaped pupil, but there could be other reasons for green eyes in chickens as well. Sharing a photo could help us determine if this is a cause for concern or not.

Do you have a picture? Marek’s usually presents as one blue/gray eye with a small, oddly shaped pupil.
This the best I could get. They allmost look like hazel eyes in humans. (They look greener in person.)
B10B2F49-CD9C-42C4-90C5-5374ED61D84F.jpeg

@TudyBOT

Attachments

• 30B3A6E5-055B-45BF-A267-2F47583A3158.jpeg
    30B3A6E5-055B-45BF-A267-2F47583A3158.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 16
How long has it been? Usually Marek's will make itself known pretty quickly. I have a hen with one blue eye, but she's had it for a long time and I know now it's due to damage to that eye. Markek's usually presents as a blue eye but there are many other symptoms that go with it to watch out for.
She has had this her whole life. I just find it odd how she has yet to grow out of it.

Back
Top Bottom