Are green eyes normal in chickens?

How long has it been? Usually Marek's will make itself known pretty quickly. I have a hen with one blue eye, but she's had it for a long time and I know now it's due to damage to that eye. Markek's usually presents as a blue eye but there are many other symptoms that go with it to watch out for.
I also have a chicken who has one green eye, but it too is due to damage. She was picked on pretty bad by her old flock.

She has had this her whole life. I just find it odd how she has yet to grow out of it.
Probably not Marek's then. Does she seem to see well? My blue-eyed hen gradually lost sight in that eye and you can tell she can't see out of it by the way she tilts her head sometimes, and the way she won't notice me or another hen approaching her from that side. If she was totally blind you'd know, but there's always a chance she had an early injury or mal-formation that may be diagnosed by poor eyesight.

I'd say don't worry about it.

Probably not Marek's then. Does she seem to see well? My blue-eyed hen gradually lost sight in that eye and you can tell she can't see out of it by the way she tilts her head sometimes, and the way she won't notice me or another hen approaching her from that side. If she was totally blind you'd know, but there's always a chance she had an early injury or mal-formation that may be diagnosed by poor eyesight.

I'd say don't worry about it.
Nope, she can see fine. She lookes around. Whenever it is treat time she manages to be the first one to my feet. She jumps at my hands trying to get some first. So unless she is secretly part bat, or somehow learned eco location. I think her eye sight is good. I am just confused about the parents both being red eyes thing. Perhaps both were recessive for green..? And she just got very lucky? The eye color is the same in both eyes.

I just wanted to rule out marek’s. It probably is just some odd occurrence.

This the best I could get. They allmost look like hazel eyes in humans. (They look greener in person.)

@TudyBOT
Yeah, that’s not Marek’s, it’s a genetic trait.
Based on the picture you provided, @Cool_Catrules456, it doesn't appear to be a sign of Marek's disease. As @GimmieBirdies mentioned earlier, sometimes young chickens may start with green eyes that later go back to yellow, but in some cases, green eyes may be a genetic trait. Since both parents had red eyes, it is possible that your hen inherited a combination of genes that resulted in green eyes.

As long your chicken is otherwise healthy and shows no other signs of illness, there is no need to worry about her eye color. However, you should monitor her closely and keep an eye out for any other symptoms, just to be safe. If you notice any changes or have any concerns, it's always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian who specializes in poultry.

Back
Top Bottom