Are Guinea Egg shells normaly this hard?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
I took 37 egg's from my Guineas nest, I have been feeding them to my dog, these eggs are really hard to crack, is that normal?

Not only are the shells really hard, but the inner membranes are much thicker and tougher than those of chicken eggs. When cracking open guinea eggs for eating, I always keep a knife handy that has a pointed tip. After I put a crack in the shell, I poke a hole in the membrane with the tip of the knife before pulling the egg apart.

I have been feeding them to my dog's because they were pulled from a nest and I have no idea how long they were in there, they seem to be all still edible, a couple have looked like there may have been embryo in it.

I have to smack them on the dog bowl a bunch of time to crack them.

It's amazing those little keets can pip and zip those shells huh? It's no wonder that they come out half brain damaged already!!!
gig.gif

I took 37 egg's from my Guineas nest, I have been feeding them to my dog, these eggs are really hard to crack, is that normal?

Yep Yep what they all said. When you get some fresh guinea eggs Give em a try ... they are very Yummy.
BTW I crack mine with the handle of a regular knife. Takes a couple of taps to get them started but once started you can crack em into a frying pan.
droolin.gif
I still need to try them deviled.

deb

I just had the same experience - so tough - i am now really worried about my furst guineas in the bator- how the heck does the lil keet get thru that?! Do you have to raise the humidity a lot at hatch time or just the same as chooks?

I just had the same experience - so tough - i am now really worried about my furst guineas in the bator- how the heck does the lil keet get thru that?! Do you have to raise the humidity a lot at hatch time or just the same as chooks?
No worries.... My little guys poked little holes one minute and SPROING .... out they came. flipin and flopping till they got their land leggs and could RUN....

deb

Back
Top Bottom