Are my 6 week old BO male or female?

calawson

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2016
I was hoping that I could get some help on determining if these are male or female? They are 6 weeks old. Their combs are very yellow and hard to see above their feathers although between the 3 of them the size varies, one has a very small comb and the other two are bigger but still hard to see above the feathers, but...I'm worried about these red wattles a bit! Roos are not allowed where we live and since the temperature is getting chilly, I'd like to see if anyone has insight on these two before I really try to find some friends for the one that I'm certain is a hen. Thank you!
Chick 1

Chick 2

My buff orp pullets look the same. Going on 8 weeks and still no pink in their combs at all. I think your are all pullets as well. Mine that werent girls had noticable pink/red in their comb by this age.

welcome-byc.gif

Everyone looks female at this point.

Orps can fool you, though......not too often, but now and again we see pretty late maturing cockerels on the forums. Probably the best sign is if you see darker gold/buff shading on the wings, that's a sign of a male. Females are an even gold shade all over, hatchery stock is maybe a little darker in the collar and tail, but not on the wings.

Right now, nothing is screaming cockerl to me, so, I'm pretty sure they are all pullets.Though Chick#2 Has a Little more Red, but I wouldn't worry.Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom