Are my chickens lesbians?

Jen76322

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2017
I've heard of hens take the role of rooster if one isn't present, my chickens don't do that. I have 3 roosters, they're very nice and not aggressive. I have 2 hens that are sitting in the same roosting box. I have 12 boxes but they're roosting together. With the same eggs, they just sit next to each other sharing the eggs, 3 chicks have hatched and they take care of them together. They don't try to mate or anything like that but, are raising them like normal hens, just together. Is that normal or are my chickens weirdos? By the way one of the hens is a silver laced wyandotte and the other is a blue laced red wyandotte chicken.

It's perfectly normal. I've had hens set on eggs together and raise the chicks together many times. They are very social animals and I don't think it has anything to do with sexuality, especially since the eggs wouldn't hatch at all without fertilization from a rooster.

I've heard of chickens sharing chicks. Even stealing chicks. I have not heard of sharing chicks being strictly a lesbian behavior in humans or chickens. I'd suffice it to say that it's normal chicken behavior.

Back
Top Bottom