Are my Silkies EVER going to lay again?

silky_3699

Songster
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
My Own Realm!!!
my two white silkie hens, tipsy and margarita were bought at a pet at around something like 16 or 17 weeks old. i think... now they went through a laying stage. one went broody and hatched 3/3 chicks. though i had too many sets of broodys with chicks at the time to keep seperated in defferent pens.

so the chicks were given to my brahma X. the other one also went broody while the other was half way through hatching her chicks. and she went broody ON THE ROOST! Yes, i think my silkies take after me, mentally deranged!
tongue.png

so when they went broody they stopped laying eggs of course!

so then we had a ''Too Many Roosters'' problem and an extra pen was made. the roosters could fly over that so we swapped pens with the silkies. fine. so the silkies dont have a nest box, but plenty of places to lay thier eggs. they never use a nest box no matter how much probing!

They are now all out of thier broodiness and back to completely normal hens aand it has been a very good while since the broodiness. BUT THEY HAVENT STARTED LAYING AGAIN! why?

They have really good nutrition, an oyster shell supplement mixed with layer mash, corn, wheat and other goodies. scraps from the kitchen and garden, and they get to free range each day. right now it is spring too so they should be laying good too! well, the others are. the silkie hens themselves are totally fine and drink and eat normally, thier health is fine, as well as all the others and they aren't moulting.

Can anyone please tell me why!?

Thank You...

Last edited:
I found that I cannot depend on my silkies to lay when I think they should
hu.gif
I have had the same problem. So I just ignore them ...they will in their own sweet time it seems. spring seems to be their fav time around here. You might look up Frizzled Feathers Farm. Fay raises Silkies and may be of some help to you.

Quote:
what a bummer! when they were laying, when i found a silkie egg it was like finding gold and i would rush up to the house and polish it! i actually did that! and popped it into it own special silkie egg carton!
lol.png

Thanks for your reply!

I'm sure that's frustrating. Wish I knew what to tell you - but I'm new to Silkies. I have 3 Silkies in my brooder right now who are almost 3 weeks old and I can't wait to see how they grow up. They are such a beautiful breed. But since they aren't my layer hens and I don't intend to breed them, I am hoping they will be broody alot so that I can get them to hatch my other layer chickens' eggs & I won't have to incubate them
smile.png

Here they are huddling in the brooder with their 5 lavender orpington hatch buddies
97463_chick_pile_009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom