Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
As the title says, can phoenix breeds of chickens be loving/affectionate? I currently have one, and she's almost 2 months since this thread was posted, and I haven't snapped any recent photos yet.
She is about 5 weeks old in the photo below:
phoenix-chick-5-week-portrait-jpg.1529174

I've spent plenty of time with her when my chick was a few days old from a hatchery. She'll follow me around, though not a lot. When she's older, I moved her outside. My pullet didn't really want me touching her, and gets nervous when I hold her. Is there any determining factor affecting my chicken's kinship? Could it be the breed? How I raised my chicken? I've heard that phoenixes aren't that friendly of a chicken, though, I'm in heavy doubt. Maybe all chickens are like this?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help.

Pheonix chickens are one breed i have never had however i have had many different breeds.
I find that the lighter breeds seam to be more flighty and nervous than heavys. Heavy breeds like Dorkings , Astralorps, Orphingtons can be quite docile. Barred rocks and Jersey Giants are also nice calm temperments.
I have had some bantams that actually prefered to be picked up and held. One hen would complain and squalk at me until i did or she would fly up in my shoulder if i ignored her.
Having said all this, each bird has its own personality no mater what breed it is.
For every single frendly bird on my above list ther were plenty of the same breed who were not.
Many chicks go thru a flighty teenage stage then calm down later when they mature.
Dont give up, but dont press to hard. I tend to sit out with my chickens and that seams to make them more relaxed around me and in curiosity come closer. Yes, i am one of those who feed my chickens treets, popcorn from the night before, or the peelings from the vegie soup i just made, so they like to see me coming.
Good luck with your bird, she is cute!

Pheonix chickens are one breed I have never had however i have had many different breeds.
I find that the lighter breeds seem to be more flighty and nervous than heavys. Heavy breeds like Dorkings, Astralorps, Orphingtons can be quite docile. Barred rocks and Jersey Giants are also nice calm temperments.
I have had some bantams that actually preferred to be picked up and held. One hen would complain and squawk at me until I did or she would fly up in my shoulder if I ignored her.
Having said all this, each bird has its own personality no matter what breed it is.
For every single friendly bird on my above list there was plenty of the same breed who were not.
Many chicks go thru a flighty teenage stage then calm down later when they mature.
Don't give up, but don't press too hard. I tend to sit out with my chickens and that seems to make them more relaxed around me and in curiosity come closer. Yes, I am one of those who feeds my chickens streets, popcorn from the night before, or the peelings from the veggie soup I just made, so they like to see me coming.
Good luck with your bird, she is cute!
Thanks a lot for your advice! Based on what you said, are Bantams (as a fair, not concrete, rule) generally friendlier? I've always wanted a smaller size out of a chicken!

Back
Top Bottom