Are Seramas more fragile than other breeds?

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
Is it just me, or are Seramas just really fragile? Idk if it's because their small or what but the chicks die a lot easier than normal chicks, and they are just more prone to diseases in general, especially respiratory infections it seems like. Right now my serama flock is dealing with roundworms and I believe coryza, but all my other flocks are fine. They even seem more fragile than other bantam breeds. Is there anything extra special I should do for them to keep them healthy?

I don't raise Seramas, but I do raise silkies who are prone to some diseases/illnesses more than other breeds, and also prone to vitamin deficiencies.

I have always mixed Rooster Booster vitamin granules in with their layer crumbles. That gives them a vitamin/mineral/probiotic boost.

We also heat their coop in the winter to 40F and don't let them out in the winter unless it's 20F or above and no wind.

The other thing I do is ferment grains 50/50 with Henhouse Reserve for 3 days in quart jars. That's a fast and easy way to give them a vitamin boost and more probiotics/prebiotics.

I keep Poultry Cell on hand and once in a while I'll give them some of that in their water, but not on a regular basis.

I don't raise Seramas, but I do raise silkies who are prone to some diseases/illnesses more than other breeds, and also prone to vitamin deficiencies.

I have always mixed Rooster Booster vitamin granules in with their layer crumbles. That gives them a vitamin/mineral/probiotic boost.

We also heat their coop in the winter to 40F and don't let them out in the winter unless it's 20F or above and no wind.

The other thing I do is ferment grains 50/50 with Henhouse Reserve for 3 days in quart jars. That's a fast and easy way to give them a vitamin boost and more probiotics/prebiotics.

I keep Poultry Cell on hand and once in a while I'll give them some of that in their water, but not on a regular basis.
A lot of people say seramas don't do good in the cold, but mine get let out in the winter and they do fine. It's just they seem more prone to diseases.

A lot of people say seramas don't do good in the cold, but mine get let out in the winter and they do fine. It's just they seem more prone to diseases.
That's why I'd keep them boosted with vitamins and probiotics. Silkies are prone to Marek's and not much we can do about that except watching our biohazard protocols and hoping no neighbors ever bring home an infected bird. I've stopped bringing chicks/chickens home from poultry swaps.

Back
Top Bottom