Are the temperaments of males and females different?

Thanks! I really want duck eggs so maybe I'll try again.
Straight run ducklings from TSC have higher than natural male to female ratios of duck. This is because some (?all) of the male sexed ducklings end up back in with the unsexed ducklings. If you do not want any drakes, you need to pay more and get sexed ducklings from a hatchery. My son was lucky and got two females and one male in his 'day old ducklings' from Tractor Supplies. But other people we know ended up with all drakes or too many drakes.

Straight run ducklings from TSC have higher than natural male to female ratios of duck. This is because some (?all) of the male sexed ducklings end up back in with the unsexed ducklings. If you do not want any drakes, you need to pay more and get sexed ducklings from a hatchery. My son was lucky and got two females and one male in his 'day old ducklings' from Tractor Supplies. But other people we know ended up with all drakes or too many drakes.
IF I try again I'm thinking about getting sexed females from Meyer Hatchery.

I guess I live in upside down world ? this is so crazy because my chickens are the ones who rule over and are mean to my ducks!! I only have two hen chickens, and 12 hen ducks, ( zero drake zero rooster, and 2 geese who live separate)
About my chickens, they chase my ducks away from everything all the time … so I have to put food in at least four different places

My experience has been with ducklings up to about 4 mo old. Yep, drakes can be onery. 1st ducklings; 3 drakes & 3 hens started off tame, then at 3 mo 1 drake turned on the other 2 and bloodied 'em. 2nd batch was 3 hens and a drake. He was super friendly and calm, so sad to rehome him when I decided on an all-hen flock of 3. I hear that young drakes start off gentle, then can become monsters when sexually mature, not always. My hens have been super tame except 2 the last month of their last egg laying. I'm learning that was due to being "broody." They would defensively spread their tail feathers and 1 would run from me. They pecked me during this time whereas they didn't before and after. 1 hen would still come up and seek petting during her egg laying that 6 weeks or so.

I loved 'em when they were young. Didn't know if I loved the 2 while they were broody. Now that they've gone full cycle, I've bonded and know that in the future I'll be fond of 'em even when they are going thru broody phases. Mine like to fly at my face veering off at the last second. 1 will swim up close to me and do all she can to splash me. She gets worked up when I splash her back. The eggs are great.

Last edited:
I guess I live in upside down world ? this is so crazy because my chickens are the ones who rule over and are mean to my ducks!! I only have two hen chickens, and 12 hen ducks, ( zero drake zero rooster, and 2 geese who live separate)
About my chickens, they chase my ducks away from everything all the time … so I have to put food in at least four different places
Most of my ducks steer clear of the chickens. Just one is aggressive apart from an occasional nip. My drakes couldn't care less now that they have receptive girls. I have one duck that actually was blinded in one eye by a broody chicken

How would you define nice? Human tolerant and behaving or actively friendly towards humans and behaving?
that’s a good question. my gander behaves better than my drakes did. he actually listens to me and tries to behave even though i can tell it’s hard for him . my drakes were human tolerant but not friendly.. the main problem i had was the drake fighting with and picking on some of the older girls. i think they just didn’t want to be bossed around by a drake. so to me a nice drake wills be one who manages his girls without beating them up and kicking them out of the coop in the freezing rain

that’s a good question. my gander behaves better than my drakes did. he actually listens to me and tries to behave even though i can tell it’s hard for him . my drakes were human tolerant but not friendly.. the main problem i had was the drake fighting with and picking on some of the older girls. i think they just didn’t want to be bossed around by a drake. so to me a nice drake wills be one who manages his girls without beating them up and kicking them out of the coop in the freezing rain
Okay. I was just curious, cause I know some people consider anything good to the flock as friendly and some only consider ones that act like dogs do with people as friendly

by the way i have yet to meet a nice drake. i hear they exist though. ( i tried 4 times )
I have a nice drake! Not so nice with other drakes involved 🤣 but great on his own. The love he has for his hens is clear. He’s at the top of the pecking order, but still lets his hens eat first. I’ve seen one of my hens challenge him before, and he’s stern in his placement, but not mean. Doesn’t chase, doesn’t demand. I got very lucky with this boy!!

Back
Top Bottom