Are these all golden comets? And some general questions

riverwed070707

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Iowa
Picked up some new hens this week. The lady said they were all golden comets but the red ones look distinctly different to me than the lighter colored ones. Not just color, but their waddles and combs are different too. Wondering what the BYC experts think about breed. On the plus side, our wait for eggs is finally over! These ladies are a little beat up (they were hardcore farm chicks) but we're getting eggs daily now and have two more who will be laying soon!

Questions - first, the farmer indicated some of the hens were molting and thats why they were missing feathers. I don't have a close up but you can see how bad this front one is beat up. Her tail feathers are stripped and she has a huge bare patch on her back. Is this typical rooster abuse or something more I should be concerned about? Been watching her closely and the other hens, nor my roo, haven't been picking on her so I'm hoping she just heals up but I feel bad for her! Its really red and irritated looking but no puss or open wounds.

Secondly, we still had our 4 mo old chicks on starter feed. We just bought a new 50 lb bag before we got the newbies. I had planned on purchasing layer feed next time we needed to buy but now I'm wondering how critical it is that I go get it right away or is it ok for the ladies to finish it off? They are eating A TON -- besides several treats a day, I'm having to fill the quart food jar 3-4 times a day. Will they slow down with the layer feed or do they just generally eat a lot more than the chicks so I should buy a larger container? We have 8 chickens total now including my handsome roo we're trying to rehome. TIA!

Last edited:
Yes, they are Golden Comet, aka, a zillion other names. They are not a breed. They are a popular red/gold sex link cross, mix or hybrid uses primarily in the commercial brown egg industry and enjoyed by small flock keepers as well. Some also look to be production reds, another popular mix/mutt/blend of egg layer.

Taking the farmer's word on they coming out of moult at face value, that would place them at 19 months of age. Frankly, their best laying season was their first, pre-moulting laying season. They'll lay well enough their second season, but eventually age catches up with this kind of hybrid somewhat quickly. Just so you are aware.

I'd also suggest that they may have been ridden hard by some over zealous roosters. I'd also check them for mites, lice and worms. You never know just what they may have brought with them to their new home.

That they have a good appetite I would take as a good thing. I'd feed them a 20% protein feed, Flock Raiser 20%, Game Bird Grower 24%, something with high protein to help them get those feathers back. Then, after a month, dial it back to a normal 16-18% layer formula.

Last edited:
Yes, they are Golden Comet, aka, a zillion other names. They are not a breed. They are a popular red/gold sex link cross, mix or hybrid uses primarily in the commercial brown egg industry and enjoyed by small flock keepers as well. Some also look to be production reds, another popular mix/mutt/blend of egg layer.

Taking the farmer's word on they coming out of moult at face value, that would place them at 19 months of age. Frankly, their best laying season was their first, pre-moulting laying season. They'll lay well enough their second season, but eventually age catches up with this kind of hybrid somewhat quickly. Just so you are aware.

I'd also suggest that they may have been ridden hard by some over zealous roosters. I'd also check them for mites, lice and worms. You never know just what they may have brought with them to their new home.

That they have a good appetite I would take as a good thing. I'd feed them a 20% protein feed, Flock Raiser 20%, Game Bird Grower 24%, something with high protein to help them get those feathers back. Then, after a month, dial it back to a normal 16-18% layer formula.
Thanks for all the feedback and info! I did know they were older. Some are actually just over two years and some over a year (she had their feet banded to tell which was which but some have fallen off). She was selling to bring in her new pullets, but at $2/bird I was OK with the fact that they may not be high production. We have had terrible luck getting our backyard flock started and I was tired of dealing with the guessing game of chicks so we decided to go for something guaranteed. Its just a hobby for us for now and really enjoy having them around, the eggs are just a bonus!

they are "comets" also more commonly known as red sex links. to me it looks like a combo of molting and rooster abuse. i would also do a mite/lice treatment just in case

just a bit of info on the bitty's they should be on chick grower by now and when they lay their first egg(s) need to be put on layer pellets
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom