Are these breeds good as pets?

The Harvest Moon Chicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Southern California
I know it mostly depends on how much you handle them and how much attention you give them as chicks, but i was wondering in general if Japanese Bantams, Brahmas (bantam, i dont know if it being a bantam would affect its temperment), and silkies do well as pets?

Last edited:
I am not sure if the japanize ones are good, but silkies & and brahms are great, most people have bantams as pets becase they eat/drink less and are smaller, i love all the silkies my friends have, and i have heard good things of the japanize so i would say their good choices
woot.gif

Last edited:
I have silkies and they have made great pets as well with hens and males they make great parents and just are kind natured. for my one rooster has two cornish bantam hens with him and every night he lets them curl up under him as if they were chicks to stay warm.
smile.png
With Bantam brahma's i had a hard time with them mostly because they didn't like strangers and if someone else tryed to pick them up they would give them a good buising bite but i feel that is just from there personality and not generally from there breed.

My silkies are sweet girls (one is a little skiddish, but she's on the bottom of the pecking order... still working on her) and don't seem to mind being picked up and held. Granted, they'd rather be running around with their friends!

thanks, that is compherting (sp?) i had a pretty good idea that silkies were good pets, but i always heard about cochins and not brahmas, and rarley ever hear anything about japanese (but they are soo pretty i could hardly resist)!

Back
Top Bottom