Are these buff orpingtons and: please tell me I don't have a rooster.

lindseythefork

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Humboldt County, CA
So, I got these three little buff orpington hens five weeks ago from the feed store. Only one is SUPER light and the other two are all spotty (blonde with brown, mostly in the shoulder area). And there's this one with a bigger comb and yeah.. not too happy with the feed store. I think I have one blonde buff orpington and maybe two sexlinks. My main question is: the one with a comb- does it look like a rooster?? They're almost six weeks old, wouldn't it start to try to crow by now if it were?

I asked the feed store what the deal was with them not looking like BOs and their answer was "That's what you get with commercial hatcheries- color variation."

15180_easter_041.jpg

15180_easter_045.jpg

Also, one chicken has a weird eye. lol Man, I lucked out with chicks this year.

Last edited:
I will refrain from screaming what I really am thinking right now. AAAHHHHH. Freakin' A, man. I KNEW these didn't look like BOs. I wish the feed store were open today. >
sad.png

Last edited:
They look our meat chickens.... front one a roo. I would switch to some meat bird food and find a processer near you, few weeks and they will be ready for the freezer!

They are not BOs even Bos with a color variation on the buff. Sometimes you will get a lighter shade of buff or a darker shade of buff but not that light of a shade. They look more white to me. And I think that first one is a roo. Maybe a Cornish cross
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom