Aug 31, 2021
I have two white chickens that I was told were erminettes when I got them at 4 weeks old. Clearly they don’t have the erminette markings but I didn’t notice any of the other so called erminettes having the splash colouring either. Wondering if that’s really what they are or if they’re just plain leghorns or white rocks? Also if they are erminettes does anyone know around what age they start laying?

Attachments

• 67594172-BC8A-47CA-B2EC-52D6A4BA7D16.jpeg
    67594172-BC8A-47CA-B2EC-52D6A4BA7D16.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 48
  • AE213DBC-E726-480C-8B84-8515BDD26447.jpeg
    AE213DBC-E726-480C-8B84-8515BDD26447.jpeg
    942.6 KB · Views: 10
Where did you get them?
I really doubt they're Erminettes. Also what are Erminettes at this point? When breeders were first working on them they weren't even on the sane page about what they should be.
Then they were said to have died out but later it was said that a flock was found. Some tried to bring them back while others tried to recreate them. Lots outcrossed or crossed different breeds in their lines. Barred Rocks were a common ingredient.
I feel IMO it would be d@mn near impossible to find anything true and take some real searching to even find a good recreation.
I know Sandhill sells what they label as Erminettes. Been there done that and wasn't impressed but of course that's what I was sent when I ordered exchequer leghorns.

Where did you get them?
I really doubt they're Erminettes. Also what are Erminettes at this point? When breeders were first working on them they weren't even on the sane page about what they should be.
Then they were said to have died out but later it was said that a flock was found. Some tried to bring them back while others tried to recreate them. Lots outcrossed or crossed different breeds in their lines. Barred Rocks were a common ingredient.
I feel IMO it would be d@mn near impossible to find anything true and take some real searching to even find a good recreation.
I know Sandhill sells what they label as Erminettes. Been there done that and wasn't impressed but of course that's what I was sent when I ordered exchequer leghorns.

I got them from a local chicken farmer but she does have lots of rare breeds including cuckoo de malines and svart honas so I’m not exactly sure where she gets her chickens from. I’m not concerned about them being “pure” but would just like to know a bit more so I know how cold hardy I can expect them and when I should expect eggs etc.

I think they theoretically could be Erminettes? Since the color doesn't breed true, there will be 25% white offspring when bred erminette to erminette and 50% white if bred erminette to white. Do they have pics of the parent stock?

I think they theoretically could be Erminettes? Since the color doesn't breed true, there will be 25% white offspring when bred erminette to erminette and 50% white if bred erminette to white. Do they have pics of the parent stock?
Test breeding would give some in site.
White rocks are recessive white. If Erminettes they'd be dominate white.

I don’t have pictures of parent 🤷🏼‍♀️ anyone have any clue when erminettes would start laying? Do they take longer to mature than most?

late to this party but I have a white Erminette a black Ermiette and three Erminette Erminettes. Mine are just about 3 and a half months old and they look like yours in body shape and comb development. They are sleeker than a Plymouth Rock. Obviously mine haven't laid yet so I can't answer your question about POL but thise do look like Erminettes to me based on the photos. Did you find the breeder in the CA North Bay area? Just curious b/c I believes there is someone on BYC who has them and wondering if it is the sameperson.

Back
Top Bottom