Are these leg bands any good?

An @Amiga 's advice I got the velco straps. They have been on over six moths and have been working great! One thing I noticed was that pink and red faded so you cannot tell which was which. I am going to place one on a right leg and the other color on the left leg this weekend, that will solve that issue.

Nice to know it's working. Six years in, and a few of the ducks still wear their leg bands, though I don't need them. I have been slowly removing them - one or two started to unravel after four or five years.

I wish I could use the Velcro straps. Problem is, when you need a band with numbers on it you're limited in your choices.

When I rebanded my ducks yesterday I noticed that the numbers had wore off on most of the bands. Hope that doesn't happen with these new ones. Obviously due to them being in the water so much because it didn't happen to the chicken bands.

I actually really like the colored ones that go on like a key ring
They can release if the ducks get it caught some where
The zip ties are hard to snap open
I had to use a pair of snips

I use zip ties. I put it on loose enough so that it slides up and down but tight enough so that it can't come off the foot. I use wire cutters to snip it flush and to remove it when needed. I've never had a problem with them yet. Just be sure to get a color you can see. Don't do what I did and put a brown leg band on brown duck leg :p

But it should be said that I don't actually number my ties. It's more like, 'brown band is duck 1, black band is duck 2, no band is duck 3.' But I think there are actually numbered poultry zip tie leg bands that are sold.

These are the wire cutters I use. They are normally used for arts and crafts but they work for zip ties too and I trust these around delicate little leggies much more than a giant pair of scissors.

UPDATE on these bands: NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!!

After being on for only 4 months, the ones on my ducks had the numbers wear off completely, and the ones on my chickens are becoming brittle and cracking off. Worst bands I've ever tried!

UPDATE on these bands: NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!!

After being on for only 4 months, the ones on my ducks had the numbers wear off completely, and the ones on my chickens are becoming brittle and cracking off. Worst bands I've ever tried!

I had the same ones looking at your pics I ended up taking them all off since one got his back toe caught in it. and another was limping never found out why but when I took off the band she stopped limping. Wasn't tight or rubbing.

Back
Top Bottom