Are these magpie ducks?

HeatherFeather

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Severn Bridge, ON
I bought nearly 30 day old ducks from a breeder in July. They are mostly khaki X silver appleyard. She threw in a couple of the same, of pure breed appleyard and khaki. She also mentioned, that she felt that a few of them may be magpies, as she couldn't tell the day olds apart from the cross breds. All her breedings were intentional, and her magpies were kept apart from the other breeds. The hatching was contracted to a hatchery, and when she picked up the ducklings, couldn't tell which were magpies. She had black, chocolate and blue. So....are any of these ducks magpies? What do you think? The first is a female.

This one is a male:

This is a different male (which I really don't think is magpie, but just getting an opinion)

And this is a group, the dark ones with white bibs are what is typical of the silver appleyard x khaki for comparison (and some others, fawn and white runner crosses, just ignore them!):

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Oh, np Amiga. It can only be one of 2 things- either a pure magpie or a silver appleyard x khaki campbell. I can try to get a hold of the breeder, but she isn't well and I don't want to bother her. The female gets to stay regardless....the 2nd male is in the freezer now and the 1st male was spared because we didn't know if he was magpie or not, plus he's smallish so he can stick around for a bit at any rate ;) I was feeling like they were all the f1 cross, except maybe the female too. Magpies are whiter right?

Thanks guys, yes, I thought that magpies have a lot more white. So you don't think the female could be chocolate magpie? Ducks in a row, they were from a planned breeding, and can only be 1 of 2 things. The hatchery the incubation was contracted to did not keep track of the different eggs. So they could be silver appleyard X KC or they could be magpie. Nothing else, as the breeder pens are all separate. They are different from the 24 other SA x KC, but don't quite seem to be choc magpie....I only really question the female anyhow.

It looks like you have all mixes. Pure magpies have more white and a very distinct saddle and head spot. The ducks in your pictures have more jagged spots and too much color.
Not to mention, chocolate magpies are VERY hard to come by.

Cross bred ducks tend to all look different. Many can be mistaken for swedish as black and bibs are dominant genes in ducks, and tend to show up in crosses offspring. So you can get "swedish" looking birds that have parents that are completely different breeds.

Back
Top Bottom