Are these temp fluctuations normal in school incubator?

MsSBoston

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
Hello!

I've been hatching duck eggs for a few years and always used the thermometers that only display current temps and the daily high and low. This year I donors choosed a new smart thermometer that tracks the temp over time, and I can see more clearly how the temperature and humidity change throughout the day. I've had the same settings on the incubator (a Manna Pro Nurture Right 360, which I used last year to great success) since we put the eggs in on Monday, but the new thermometer is recording some larger dips in temp and one high temp reading at 102 (although the dip in 91 was when I put the eggs into the incubator). I'm seeing similar dips and spikes in humidity, but I think that I have a better handle on that. I attached a picture of the read out for temps and humidity so you can see them. The blue zone for temps is 99.0-100.0 and the blue zone for humidity is 45-55%.

I just wanted to get some advise about whether I should raise the temp on the incubator a half a degree or you think those fluctuations are normal. I might just be paranoid because now I can see them instead of just the high and low temps like previously. It is averaging a little below optimal. I would add the extra half a degree, but that spike to 102 makes me weary, especially because one year the custodian knocked the incubator dial and cooked all but one egg so I'm extra nervous about high temps. Since we're heading into the weekend and I won't be able to monitor it until Monday, I'm just trying to figure out the right move.

Thanks!
Sophie

IMG_0787.PNG

Back
Top Bottom