Are these the right loppers for dispatching birds?

Goodness, no. Those crush more so than cut. I've seen someone use poultry shears to dispatch and it did not end well. Use a very sharp knife like victorionox. If you order it from Amazon, make sure you have it sharpened.

No. That is for tree branches. Use a restraining cone and boning knife.
1665092706960.png
1665092748369.png

are these the right type of loppers (bypass) to use for dispatching?
No. You want something with a curved blade at least on one side. These only open to 30mm, a bit over an inch so something with a wider jaw may be helpfull.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-P16-...==&sprefix=lopping+shears,aps,167&sr=8-6&th=1

My suggestion is you learn how to do a cervical dislocation. It has some real advantages over any method that require tools. You wont chop any fingers off and you'll be able to quickly kill a chicken should it get severly injured when you find it, not a few hours later.
https://margaretgarland.blogspot.com/2017/12/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-past.html

Which one do you find easier?
Pipe cutter. Because I can do one handed. With the loppers I have to hold the head with one hand so they don't pull the head up in the cone. Then I maneuver the open lopper around the neck. One handle I brace against my leg and pull the other handle with my free hand. I still do older turkeys this way.
The pipe cutter I hold the head and chop the head off with the pipe cutter.

I have used loppers, make sure they are sharp.
View attachment 3283113

Currently I use pipe cutter on chickens
View attachment 3283115
I have those same loppers, they are for breaking down deer carcasses, OP.
We use a knife first to bleed out, then the loppers to remove the head. You don't want to use your good sharp knife on bone.
Sometimes I just use a PVC cutter, as shown by Molpet, instead.
Which is easier depends a lot on your hand size and strength, the size of the birds you are dispatching and if you are using a cone or not.

So I guess I'm the dissenting voice here. I use loppers like the one you linked and it's the easiest way for me to dispatch extra roosters. I have a traffic cone nailed to a tree in the woods with the tip cut off to the right length. I stick my bird in the cone, open the loppers wide and fit the blade around the roosters neck, push towards the tree trunk to get a cut all the way through, and close the loppers firmly. The head always falls off. The carcass always bleeds fully. I never have to worry about messing it up, causing unnecessary pain and suffering, or wondering if it's really dead. Just make sure you sharpen and clean your loppers appropriately and they shouldn't let you down.

Back
Top Bottom