Are they cockerels or do Wyandotte's develop wattles quicker then other breeds? LOTS of pictures!

farlo4

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my SLWs. I got one from a store where all the birds are sexed before so it is a 98% chance that you get a pullet. Now at 3 weeks of age, I am pretty sure that it's a cockerel because it's got a red comb and red wattles coming it. I already have a roo so I can't keep a cockerel. So I went back to the store and got another one. This one is probably 2 weeks old, and it's getting wattles in too! Although they aren't as red, but again she is younger. I have other 4 week old chicks (of other breeds) and none have noticeable wattles. Anyways, now I'm wondering if it is common in Wyandottes to develop wattles faster? I had a 2% chance of getting a cockerel. Did I really get THAT unlucky and end up with two? Ugh I'm so annoyed. >.<

Here's the two week old:

1. comb view

2. Wattle on side view

3. Closer wattle view (sorry blurry)

4. I know some people like to see the back feathers so here you go

5. Finally the whole bird

Here's the three week old that I thought is a cockerel only now I'm not sure.

1. Close up wattle view

2. Regular wattle view

3. Comb view

4. Back feather view (he's been learning the pecking order, so I don't know how much this will help... he's missing quite a few.)

5. And the whole bird

Let me know what you think - thanks!

Last edited:
I've heard that wyandottes can be hard to sex as the females sometimes get wattles early on. I'm in the same boat as you right now with determining the sex of my BLRW. I thought she was a girl at first, but I noticed she has red on the shoulders and thick legs. No comb or wattle growth though. She's five weeks, so I guess it's just a waiting game for us

Back
Top Bottom