Are they dead?!?

chickenchik12

Songster
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
stumptown CA
my dad checked my broody today and she was still setting the fertile rir eggs we set aug 6th. but later today i found her sitting on the fake eggs i had left in there 4 the other hen. are my eggs dead
?

They can survive a long time, even a couple of days, especially if the weather is warm. The mama's normally get off the nest at least once each day. However, if you have her where she can switch nests, lured by fake or real eggs, she will switch around and/or others will lay on the nest she's been setting when she gets up and that will cause staggered hatching.

It's best to take a broody and put her in a dog kennel or crate or somewhere where she can set in peace.

I bet they're just fine...especially in the summer. If it was winter and they were able to get "cold", then I'd be more worried about it. Just pick her up and set her back on the eggs.

Have you candled them at all, or do you plan to? If you set them on the 6th, I bet you could see some veins in the developing eggs today/tonight. I set 6 eggs under my broody on the 10th, so I have to wait a few more days before I can candle.

Back
Top Bottom