Are they roosters by accident?

lividoll

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Martinez, CA
I was under the impression that the chicks I bought from concord feed were lady birds. However, when watching them in their box- I see some behavior that worries me. I have 1 americauna- (who's color turned out gorgeous but not at all what I expected) who seems to run as fast as it can from side to side, and it's a bit snappy towards me. I've held it every day since he was a day old. So I should not be a stranger to it. This birdie was my favorite for a while. She looked like an owl as a chick but now she looks like an eagle! But with this aggressive behavior, I'm worried it's a rooster. Any ideas?

Last edited:
When I fist bought my 6 chicks 2 years ago the lady at the feed store told me there is always a possibility that one or more is a rooster. And yes it did happen out of the 6, 1 did turn out to be a rooster.

Sexing day-old chicks is about 90% accurate. I've got 4 "assorted layer pullets" in my brooder right now that I'm pretty sure are Easter Eggers. Of those 4, 1 is feathering out like the one in your pic, and I suspect it's going to turn into a lovely rooster. Since I lost both of my Ameraucana roosters last summer, I'm OK with it, but I won't be handling that chick like I do the others.

I'm fairly confident that 1 of my 8 is a rooster, 1 of my 2 seabright bantams. Ill be sad if my andricauna turns out to be a rooster. I'm going to try a trick I read about, tucking his head and facing him in the corner. I guess I just wait until he crows or doesn't lay eggs.

Behavior can be tricky. There is a pecking order, and certain hens can be aggressive, pushy and very much female. As for "if a group of chicks might contain a rooster or two," Yes. Unless you specifically purchased sex links, there is no 100 percent way to tell the sex of a hatchling.

Sex links are certain specific (special) breeds of chickens where the color of the bird is genetically determined. Males are always a different color than the hens.

Riki

Ok so what do I do with Roos once I'm 100% sure? My farmer friend cuts their heads off bc he said one will only kill the other. There is NO way I can or would do that. He suggested 4h locals. Any other ideas?

You can try listing your roosters on Craigslist. There's always a chance that the person who takes them will want to put them in the freezer, but it's also possible that you'll find somebody who wants to add a rooster to their flock.

This morning, the 2 suspected roosters attempted to crow. All the birds stopped in their tracks, cold. They didn't know what was going on!!! So, I'm quite sad to say, I have to get rid of them sooner than later :( of course it has to be the most handsome birds of all. One of my americaunas

And the seabright

Back
Top Bottom