Are they sick??

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
So I’m a pretty new chicken keeper here. Got our first few just in February. This past weekend we got several more and moved them all into the big new coop we built. Now I’m worried they’re sick!

Background: Our bigger 3 are about 4.5-5mo old. None have laid any eggs yet. Our new 8 little ones are just over 2mo old. We got them Saturday. Saturday-Monday they were in separate pens next to each other and Monday evening I put the bigs in the new coop with the littles. Haven’t seen nothing worse than what I would imagine to be normal heckling.

Now, on Sunday or Monday I heard one of the bigs sneezing. She had no drainage, not mouth breathing, not lethargic. I chalked it up to just putting down new shavings and being dusty. Well this morning one of the littles was on the roost longer than anyone else. Then huddled in a corner alone looking rather sleepy. I took her out and put her in a pen alone. She had the very faintest of a gurgle (I don’t know how else to describe it) when breathing. Not every breath, and very very subtle. She did get up and eat a bit, but then jumped up on the ledge to go back to sleep I guess.
96F6F6B1-8F81-4787-976A-DE737A2DC461.jpeg

I watched everyone else for a bit to see how they’re all doing. All were out and about eating and drinking. Though I swear I heard TWO of the bigs sneeze once! Now I’m a little worried! Is this just a cold? Is there anything I should be doing differently? Am I a horrible chicken mom that can’t keep them healthy?? :hit

Their coop and run for reference:
6A8E90F7-EAEC-4938-96A5-E5634A2A4A82.jpeg

D117F38F-916B-4B06-9985-33BC8E4818A2.jpeg

When I got home she was eating, but just laying down by the food to eat. Got to drink a fair amount. She walked around a little. Then just laid down to go back to sleep. Called the lady I got them all from and she wasn’t sure what it could be but maybe just the stress of the move caused her to more easily pick up a bug. She’s going to come by in the morning with an antibiotic and see if it helps.
C46FFE35-2103-4CDE-95D6-8F56BA0CBB8B.jpeg

You're not a horrible chicken mom, just not knowledgeable about biosecurity.
It is true that stress can aggravate any number of problems in chickens, particularly respiratory illnesses. The fact that the lady you got the birds from is bringing you an antibiotic in the morning tells me that she mightve been aware that there was possibly a respiratory issue going on with her birds.

When acquiring new birds, you should quarantine them at least 6 weeks away from an existing flock. The 6 week time frame will give most chicken diseases time to show themselves. Then you can either keep them separated from the existing flock and treat them with medications or cull them. Keep in mind that if you handle sick birds, then handle your healthy birds, you unknowingly infect your healthy birds. These diseases are carried on your clothing, shoes, vehicles etc...
Infectious Bronchitis can even be carried in the wind at least 100 yards away from infected birds.

Personally, I avoid chicken swap meets, agricultural fairs where birds are shown, never get birds off Craigslist, nor the farmer down the road etc...chances are their birds may not be healthy and carry some unknown disease.
There are only two breeders that I trust because they have closed flocks as I do.

It's best to order chicks from hatcheries.
You're going to have to make tough choices in the near future regarding your birds: Whether to keep your birds and treat them with medications, or possibly end up culling them.
Antibiotics will treat symptoms, but not cure the disease. Then there is antibiotic resistance to consider over the long haul, not to mention egg withdrawal periods due to antibiotic usage.

Let us know what antibiotic the lady uses to treat your sick hen. It can help us get an idea what you might be dealing with.

I would agree with Dawg53, in that your breeder may have had some disease in her flock in the past. Sneezing can also be caused by dust in bedding or feed, especially when eating.
Infectious bronchitis, which causes sneezing as the main symptom, is the most common disease, is caused by a virus which will not be treated by any antibiotic. It leaves all chickens in the flock carriers for up to a year after an outbreak.
Mycoplasma gallisepticum, which in mild cases can look similare, acan leave your flock carriers for life, whether they have symptoms or not. Here is a good link to read to compare your symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

She did say she hadn’t had any other birds with the same symptoms. Nor had anyone who recently purchased any let her know of any issues either. And all 11 of our birds came from the same place about a month and a half apart. I read through that link. None of the symptoms matched up. She doesn’t have any kind of drainages. She’s definitely eating and drinking. No diarrhea. She does seem to have her feathers fluffed up a bit. She just seems sleepy. :idunno

The antibiotic used was NuFlor. I haven’t researched it yet personally. But the Wyandotte is doing a lot better today. Already this morning she was up scratching about. And by this afternoon she seemed to be acting pretty normal overall. I’ll probably move her back into the coop this evening.

The brahma on the other hand seems to be having some issue. She was doing that thing this morning where they’re like swallowing real big...like something stuck in its throat. So she also got a shot of antibiotic. I’m thinking I may move her out to the separate pen now. She hasn’t done that weird swallow thing that I’ve seen anymore today, but she did seem to be doing some open mouth breathing.

Back
Top Bottom