Are wild strawberries ok?

redhawkou812

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Joelton, TN
Hi all,
I went to the treats section to see if wild strawberries are ok to let the chickens eat, but didn't find anything at all about strawberries. Do I need to worry about the chickens eating them? Our yard is full of them right now.
caf.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont waste them on chickens!!! Make shortcake! I would KILL for some wild strawberries, domestic ones just can't compare for flavor! But if you MUST aste them on chickens, I'm sure the chickens will love you for it.

Quote:
Those "indian strawberries" I assume your talking about right? Well.. my chooks don't eat them. They are safe to eat from what I understand even for us humans, just taste pretty awful if your expecting a "strawberry" taste.

big_smile.png

Nuthin' to worry about there, my yard is covered in them too.. suprised me they grow so well in the sunny areas too

It's been a long time since I tried one, but I thought I remembered them being pretty bitter. I have a neice that loves to eat them right off the plant, no sugar added.

My 9yo daughter hunts them down and eats them right out of the grass. She was so excited to find a patch of them in a far corner of the yard the other day...now Daddy is strictly forbidden to mow over "her" strawberries. Ick.

Wild strawberries were the first fruit my chickens ever had, after they found the patch that grows behind the house.

This year they ruined it for themselves. They ate all the blooms as soon as they appeared. No wild strawberries for those silly birds this year.

Back
Top Bottom