Are you happy with your poop board?

Hard to tell from the picture....but, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
smile.png

I like our poop board so far. The only complaints I have is the roost needs to be a couple more inches above the board. It makes it hard to get under to clean.
The other complaint is that I regret putting linoleum as a liner to the poop tray. I didn't tack it down and it's curling up on the edges.

Not sure how I'll feel in the winter. We have a walk-in coop 4' wide and 8' long. There's not a lot of room in there to move around (plenty for the six hens, but not a lot for a human). I've just started thinking about winter lighting and watering options.

I love my poop board! It's 2' wide and runs the length of the roost. I lined it with some spare linoleum tiles, edged it with 1" furring strips and filled it 1" deep with Sweet PDZ. I went out this morning to clean the coop, took my kitty litter scoop and cleaned out the poops. I was done in less than 2 minutes (that included the time it took to smooth the PDZ flat because I like seeing the girls' footprints in it). My husband is so funny because he swore the coop would stink like crazy and I kept telling him "poop board". He would say "that sounds so gross"! But even he's a believer now!

I like mine. I wish we put the roost a couple of inches higher above the poop board. I have a hard time getting my scooping utensils between the board and roost. The space is only about 4 inches.
When their poops are solid, it's a breeze to clean. When their poops are liquid, it can be messy...but what wouldn't?

@Nab58
I have my roost 3½ inches from my poop board.

I find the spacing ideal it saves the day when eggs are laid through the night while they are roosting.

I have my roost in cups and can just put them to one side when cleaning the board.

In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy peasy!.

Chicken coop is salvaged 4x8 metal shed.

Last edited:
I love our poop board! I did quite a bit of research on whether to put one in or not. I don't have one single complaint. Put our roost up high enough that cleaning and mopping are not a problem at all. Only takes me about 30 minutes to shovel the poo off and mop too! Our hen house is 15 x 20 and houses 20 hens and 3 roosters. Highly recommend one.

Hi from Ohio, my hubby is building me a perch and poop board after seeing yours. My question is How far off the ground is yours and do you have to have to have a ramp for them to access or do they jump up to it???

thanks,

I think my board is somewhere between 24-30" off of the coop floor (the bedding makes it less). The roost itself is 8-10" above the poop board. A standard hen can duck and walk under the roost and they fit well under the poop board. They just jump up and down without any issues, I have never had a ramp because I made sure all of my chickens came with wings
wink.png

Hi from Ohio, my hubby is building me a perch and poop board after seeing yours.  My question is How far off the ground is yours and do you have to have to have a ramp for them to access or do they jump up to it???

thanks,

My poop board is 4.x 8 and the roost are right above it. We staggered them. First board is maybe 2 ft off the ground and we go up from there for a total of 3 roosts. They loved it all winge rand clean up is so easy. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom