area ll roos increadably randy?

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
I got a barred rock/silky mix roo from an animal rescue sunday. I put him in his own pen till I got back from eating supper. when i got back he was in the big hens pen. (thats a 6 foot jump flight) and since then hes been tying to mount any chicken he can get ahold of!! My big roo dosn't even try to mount the chickens and doesn't care if this little guy does. Its the queen chicken that keeps knocking him off the others. Should I try and remove him from the pen or just let him be. were not doing anything with the eggs yet because were not sure how to tell if they are viable. C

I would think that since you got him as a rescue that he should be quarentined well away from your other birds for a month or so to be certain he cannot transmit disease or parasites to your birds.

AACCKK! not good at all!! hes been in the pen with the girls for a few days now is it too late to quarentine him? what do I need to look for sickness wise? C

Some animal rescue places will vaccinate against certain things; I doubt this is true for chickens but you might want to see what they have done, if anything, or how long they've had him, and what his history was. It is a nightmare if he brings something into your flock, but he might not. Just keep your eyes open for any unusual behaviour or symptoms. It is probably too late to isolate him, now. Whatever happens, happens. You can isolate him for months and he can still be a carrier of something and not exhibit any symptoms. (this is what happened to us) There are vaccines available for adult chickens for some things.

Back
Top Bottom