Arizona Chickens

My Friend did it!!!!! She fought the city of Gilbert when a neighbor complained about her chickens. She was not zoned for it. They grandfathered her in. She can keep the chickens and ducks from what I understand. I will have her post an update when she feels better (sick) but I had to share the good news. It pays to stand your ground and fight. I am very proud of her!

Yay!

Quote:
gig.gif
Those were great!

My Friend did it!!!!! She fought the city of Gilbert when a neighbor complained about her chickens. She was not zoned for it. They grandfathered her in. She can keep the chickens and ducks from what I understand. I will have her post an update when she feels better (sick) but I had to share the good news. It pays to stand your ground and fight. I am very proud of her!
So she is sing, "I fought the law and the law won I won!"

Stink. I think deep-down I knew it but this is my first flock. So now what? Is he old enough for the dinner table? I can't have him crowing and giving away my stealth flock....sigh
I know the first chicks that we had our broody hen hatch I am pretty sure 4 out of the 6 are roos, not super odds, so we are not headed to Vegas. They are only 13 weeks old so still not sure on a couple. Maybe you can find a nice home for him so you don't have to put him on the dinner table.
~Di

Looking for GOOD, at least close to SOP Black Copper Marans and Welsummers; hatching eggs, chicks, started birds, trios..... What do you have? Most all I've seen on CL have had white feathers ;-(

I would also like to find a couple hens or pullets that will lay true blue eggs.

OK, folks, I have to ask a few questions.

What kind of chickens do I have?

I have a beautiful little Bantam, and I am not sure what breed she is. And she has started going all broody on me. She sits on anything that is left in the laying boxes. I had placed golf balls in there so the birds would know where to lay their eggs. However, she is so adamant about hatching that I took all the eggs out of the boxes, and placed one about four inches away from her. WHILE I was watching, she reached out with her beak and pulled it under her. I removed all the eggs from under her, and placed a second golf ball under her, and she pulled THAT one under her too. The next time I checked on her, she had pulled ALL six of the golf balls under her, and she has been sitting on them for several hours. I even picked her up and placed he on the ground outside the run and coop. Within minutes she was back inside sitting on her golf balls. This has been going on for more than a week now, and I am concerned. By the way, she is part of my first flock, she came home as a two day old chick at the end of March, 2012, this year.

Next I have several, four in fact, white birds with black tips. This is what they all look like, and hard to tell them apart. I think it's a good thing I didn't name them, I would hate arguments with these girls if I called them the wrong name. These are also part of the first flock, late March this year, 2012.

The darker 'sister' sitting beside her was also part of this same group when I got them. I should mention at this time that these girls are giving me (or should I say "gifting" me) with beautiful light blue, almost green eggs, and a variety of brown eggs, though I have no idea which are giving brown and which are gifting me with the light blue/green eggs.

The last picture is of several hens. I know the white one is a Leghorn, but I have no idea what the others are. They are ALL black, except when the sun hits them. Their feathers look green and blue, very luminescent, and BEAUTIFUL. This is my second flock, brought home as one week old in late May, 2012.

There are five leghorns (still have all five, and the only breed I can name) and there were five of these black hens, but one was a rooster, and he was re-homed. He was vicious, he attacked everything, and the chickens all ran from him. When he attacked me, that was when I finally separated him from the group and put him in a separate cage. Then a neighbor asked about him and I gave him to that neighbor. I haven't heard a sound from the neighbors yard, so I will assume that he went to freezer camp that night.

OK, folks, can you help? What do I really have?

Skip

Last edited:
photto, i am not positive but it looks like in picture 2 is a light brahma and pic 3 is a dark brahma.

pic 1 might be a bantam golden laced brahma but need a close up of the head to be sure. it doesnt seem square enough

Last edited:
Finally the weather has cooled off enough that I decided to try to train those girls on the nipple feeder I built months & months ago.
I installed nipples on the bottom of a homer bucket with have a sump pump float inside. I finally hooked it up to the drip system today and won't you know, the bucket is cracked along where I installed the nipples. Man... that's what I get for leaving it outside all summer.

Now i have to try to remember how in the world I built that
idunno.gif
and where that specially sized drill bit is.

Back
Top Bottom