Arizona Chickens

Oh, avismeansbird, I am so sorry that your little one had to deal with that! It sounds like she and you handled it extremely well, though. I am out in the hinterlands North of Phoenix proper and we have many, many predators out here - and a wash that runs right on the back of our property! You can hear the coyotes howling just about every night in very close proximity. We have a 5-ft. steel view fence, but still figure something like a bobcat might just hop right over that, plus there's the owls and the hawks, etc. So, I think that surplus cage at the auction with the addition of a "roof" made out of chicken wire might be a really good idea. We ended up buying a couple of cheap chain-link dog runs that are 6' tall, 7.5' wide and 13' to 20' long (check out craigslist - there's usually a few) and then we ran some metal poles along the top to create an "a-frame"that we attached the chicken wire to with pig rings. American Fence in Phoenix or Mesa sells all this stuff, too. Costs more new, though - but they are a good source for extra clamps, carriage bolts, pig rings, etc. that are particular to chain-link fencing... I think that people who live in more urban parts of the Valley forget sometimes that coyotes will go wherever they need to for food, and with our long-lasting drought that does mean in the middle of Phoenix sometimes. I have even seen coyotes crossing Scottsdale Rd. at the 101 Loop at 8 in the evening before! I don't think they were browsing at Whole Foods, either - LOL!

She had a piece of wood or some other object stick her in that right foot.

Wish you lived closer, I'd just come show you how to do it.

Get gauze, medical tape, neosporin, sugar, iodine and a SHARP knife or safe razor blade.

1.  Cut around the scab, pull it off, squeeze out as much pus etc... as you can. 

2.  WASH it real well.

3.  place a small amount of neosporin in the wound.

4. mix a small amount of sugar and iodine.  Place over the neosporin in the wound.

5. Place clean gauze over the wound

6. tape it into place.

On my girls it usually takes about 3 to 4 treatments of the above every 3 to 4 days... I leave the last dressing taped on and usually in a week she will have removed it herself.  by then, it should be healed nicely.

Thank you! I think I can manage...if not, you're really not too far! I'll let you know how it goes.

Lost my first chicken today.  They were happily digging around the backyard about 10am, when a coyote jumped the fence and took Uberious (long story on the name).  She was a barred rock, almost 4 months old, and the leader of our small flock of 4.  We have a large and secure coop and have read all the warnings about predators, but I guess I assumed that if something hopped our fence it would be loud - barking, squawking, etc., and not on a lovely Saturday morning.  Our chickens were also so big, I figured nothing was going to mess with them.  I didn't count on a silent predator.  Foolish.

My oldest daughter went outside and saw the coyote with Uberious.  She started screaming and crying.  When we calmed her down enough to find out what was wrong, we searched all over the neighborhood, but didn't find anything but feathers.  My daughter made a grave with a headstone, and buried a feather with her first Advent calendar chocolate.  She wrote a eulogy on the headstone that begin with "We loved Uberious. . . " and ended with "I hope she loved us, too."  I thought I owed it to her and to to Uberious to tell the story to those who would understand.  Thank you all for your knowledge, experience, and loving support.  

VISMEANSBIRD: I feel your loss. I am very aware of coyotes. That are so fast, can be very bold, even if you are in the yard with your birds, if one of them thinks he can he will try it. That's why I wish I had my Great Danes instead of a small dog that is on the menu. Where I am in the valley we have fewer then 20 yrs ago, but they are still here.

I pray my girls will reman safe......... A thought? Are Emues a good attack guard bird? Can you have them in the city? Interesting question, will they lay eggs with out breeding?

I do have a question for Phoenix Urban farmers, it has been so very nice out, unseasonably warm, my girls are almost a month old now, at 6 weeks should they be old enough for we're I live? When do you think I will be able to move them to their coop and covered run (10'X6')? I expect it to start getting cold with a vengeance, I am planning on putting a light for heat in their coop until I am sure they will be fine. The question is when? {I have an allergy to bird feather dust, not taking anything right now. Out side no problem with ventalstion

Coyotes are getting more bold. Not long ago, I was hiking in the mountain preserve and a woman with two small dogs was throwing rocks at a couple of coyotes who were eyeing her little dogs over for dinner.....

So far, I've never had one go into my backyard....that I know of.

Oh yes, LadyKotaDorie, should be fine for them outside right now - as long as you have taken precautions for predators! If you are in central Phoenix, no problem with temps. Even in outlying areas to the North, I am not worried about night-time temps as they should only dip into the mid-forties and my 2 4-month olds chose to roost for tonight on their outside perch! And yes, Mahonri, I do not let my small dog out in the yard unless one of my larger dogs is watching over him...

I have two heat lamps going at present. One in my Laree Brooder with 11 chicks and one in my grow out pen with 16 chicks inside a baby swimming pool. At least once a day one or two of the almost three week old chicks will fly out of the pool and can't get back in and they start chirping.... Of course I always go out and put them back in....

I'll have to put the other 11 in with the 17 tomorrow as Monday, NurseShelly will have hatched the Icelandics.

I have the Icelandic broody to put them under, but if she doesn't accept them... then they'll have to go into the Laree brooder.

And by April, I'll be ready to sell some more of my stock.. including polish roos. I have 3 sultans and I'm praying that at least two are girls... they are amazingly beautiful.

Oh, avismeansbird, I am so sorry that your little one had to deal with that! It sounds like she and you handled it extremely well, though. I am out in the hinterlands North of Phoenix proper and we have many, many predators out here - and a wash that runs right on the back of our property! You can hear the coyotes howling just about every night in very close proximity. We have a 5-ft. steel view fence, but still figure something like a bobcat might just hop right over that, plus there's the owls and the hawks, etc. So, I think that surplus cage at the auction with the addition of a "roof" made out of chicken wire might be a really good idea. We ended up buying a couple of cheap chain-link dog runs that are 6' tall, 7.5' wide and 13' to 20' long (check out craigslist - there's usually a few) and then we ran some metal poles along the top to create an "a-frame"that we attached the chicken wire to with pig rings. American Fence in Phoenix or Mesa sells all this stuff, too. Costs more new, though - but they are a good source for extra clamps, carriage bolts, pig rings, etc. that are particular to chain-link fencing... I think that people who live in more urban parts of the Valley forget sometimes that coyotes will go wherever they need to for food, and with our long-lasting drought that does mean in the middle of Phoenix sometimes. I have even seen coyotes crossing Scottsdale Rd. at the 101 Loop at 8 in the evening before! I don't think they were browsing at Whole Foods, either - LOL!
Note the location of the cage--it is in Sells; that is a good long drive from here, and you will need a means of transport.

Back
Top Bottom