Arizona Chickens

If I had your coop I would put in a couple of small igloo type dog houses, in the corner. Put down thick straw in them. They will get into the igloos if they need to get out of the cold.

If I had your coop I would put in a couple of small igloo type dog houses, in the corner. Put down thick straw in them. They will get into the igloos if they need to get out of the cold.
That's a really great idea! Thanks!
Do you think anything else would work? Those dogloos are hard to come by without buying a brand new one for a small fortune.

Our chicken yard is fenced and very private. However, just this morning, our new puppy shot inside when I opened the gate to leave. He's small but thinks he's tough. He immediately ignored the hens and started smelling around for food. One of my Barred Rocks took exception to him being there and, like a little tank, charged directly into him. Pecking him. Telling him in no uncertain terms.... Get your sorry *** out of here. Pogo and I left together. When there is no rooster, a hen will frequently take over his duties. Boy, she did. I loved it. Tomas in Tucson

That set up looks fine to me. If it gets real cold, they huddle up. If you expect a really cold night, put some cardboard up against that wire to stop the wind. Otherwise, it looks fine to me.

Hey there! I haven't checked back to this thread in a while, thought I would pop in, check it out, and ask a few questions while I'm at it!

I'm in Tucson, I have been looking around for info on what is needed for my chickens in the winter, and everything winter-y is really aimed at the snowy northern cold. I was wondering how protected from the cold our desert birds need to be? Right now I have them in a pretty open run/coop. I'm not sure what I need to do to make sure they are all safe when the frosts start to hit.

I staple plastic up around the open walls in my coop for Dec.-Feb. That would be tough with your metal frame, but maybe you could put more tarp up around a couple of the walls near where they roost to provide more of a wind break.

Without knowing where they roost now, or how many chckens you have, maybe you could find a large cardboard box and cut out an opening for an entrance. Throw some straw down or... ? And put a Paint Tarp over that and weight it down all around with rocks or something so the wind doesn't blow it off or scare the hell out of them. My 9 hens change where they roost once in awhile so it shouldn't be a big deal for your birds. Especially if you make it cozy.

That set up looks fine to me. If it gets real cold, they huddle up. If you expect a really cold night, put some cardboard up against that wire to stop the wind. Otherwise, it looks fine to me.
In general it looks fine. Except I would consider repalcing the tarp with something more perminate if you have any very windy spells down there. My birds got very restless because the plastic tarps are very noisy when the winds blow. But then not everyone lives in a wind tunnel ? My set up is not to different, Although they have wooden boxes to roost in the front is open and there is plenty of open space in the corners. I try to put lots of hay or leaves in their boxes and runs. Keeps them entertained.

I traveled to Gilbert to the wonderful home of Nurseshelly... 55 minutes there in rush hour 45 minutes back... 52 mile round trip, picked up the five little Icelandic chicks...2 white, 2 brown and one little light brown chipmunk-Drekki Jr. look alike (THANK YOU NURSESHELLY FOR INCUBATING THEM FOR ME!)... got home after dark. Before turning the light off in the coop, I noticed that Blucey was sitting in a nest box... so I may have another broody Icelandic.

I carefully put all five chicks underneath Ida and she seemed to immediately accept them and clucked to them and seemed to make room underneath her for them.

I'll be worried sick all night. I thought more than once about just putting them in the Laree brooder and keeping them alive, but I decided that Ida needs to become my Lukka if at all possible and I need to have faith.

So pray along with me and stay tuned.

PS... LOVED the little Seramas at Nurseshelly's home!! WOW! SO TINY AND CUTE!!!

Last edited:
Hey there! I haven't checked back to this thread in a while, thought I would pop in, check it out, and ask a few questions while I'm at it!

I'm in Tucson, I have been looking around for info on what is needed for my chickens in the winter, and everything winter-y is really aimed at the snowy northern cold. I was wondering how protected from the cold our desert birds need to be? Right now I have them in a pretty open run/coop. I'm not sure what I need to do to make sure they are all safe when the frosts start to hit.
I would just close up one end where they roost at night to keep the wind off of them and leave the other end open. You don't want to close it all in, that wouldn't give them enough fresh air to stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom