Arizona Chickens

Oh no, is it Boss Hogg?

Rosco this time. Fortunately Boss Hogg did well on the meds and got over her laryngitis. So she's doing well. But god knows if she has stuff inside her too! When I was looking to see if she passed the screw, I had a neodymium magnet I was using to scan the yard. I found all kinds of metal crap. Nails, screws, bits of wire and mesh, paper clips. We got our dirt from a nearby farm, so if think it was just in there. :/ I wish I had realized earlier there was so much junk in the dirt.

that's my neck of the woods; about 30 minutes from my house to the lake. Actually I prefer higher up along the river, you can camp right on the bank at the intake

I thought about you as we passed through Globe! If I lived 30 minutes away I'd probably never get anything done. So you like the Salt River end? It's so verdant up there. We generally stay near Windy Hill, the bass fishing around there is always good and not so much influenced by water clarity from the intakes at the ends. Plus, it's a fun paddle across to Salome cove. It's so strange seeing the lake down so far again.

We just got back from spending most of the week up at Roosevelt Lake. It was spectacular! With the lake level down we were able to camp next to the water and we didn't have any other campers in sight. Going to sleep and waking up to the sounds of wildlife was so re-juvenating. Our amazing camp site: The view from our bed:
that's my neck of the woods; about 30 minutes from my house to the lake. Actually I prefer higher up along the river, you can camp right on the bank at the intake
We have never camped there.. We might try it this summer.. I will call you for a good location..

Now that is what I am talking about.. Was there a lot of the weird alge at that water level?

No, no weird algae at all just the regular stuff. The water clarity was great. From above at the road it looked aqua-marine. Up close the visibility was about 3-4'. It was great swimming there. I'm still peaking from the fishing.

@AZ Turkeys one of mine has a small screw in her right now, about 1/4" screw from the automatic waterer when I had the lid off to clean it. I saw her eat it so I took her to my vet friend a few days later to see if she had passed it. Nope. And not only that, she has a few small washers and bits of wire in there too. Chickens do really like shiny things. Nothing I can do, the vet said chicken surgery isn't advised. We don't eat ours, so I'm just hoping she eventually passes it or it doesn't bother her. Fortunately it's tiny. But you'd be amazed what they'll eat. Styrofoam too if they can find some.

So good to see you are back... The worse part is trying to find it once it does pass.. :sick

May be 2 years so I may try it. I have a handful of olants in pots now and they're on the verge of dying. I know I should put them in te ground, but my dirt is so bad here.

So if you bought the sunfish from a farm as fry them you could have as many as you want because there's no limit on how many you can have? Is that right? They'll make great catfish bait and prob a great way to control my population. You have a system? They have one out at the VPA Orchard along with a bunch of chickens. I was thinking of volunteering there but haven't decided yet.
Don't have a system up and running yet but working on it. I'll have to check out the VPA orchard sometime.

I've kept tilapia alive over the past two winters here in the center of Tucson. With a closed and thermostatically controlled greenhouse, you can set the temperature inside where you want during the day. Without thermostatically controlled ventilation, the temperature in my greenhouse would get so high it would kill the plants inside. I typically set it at 85 degrees, where it stays for most of the daylight hours. Inside the greenhouse I have pvc grow tubes that heat the water that flows through by two degrees, which raises the water temperature during the day. I also have a large (700 gallon) tank in the ground and one (550) above ground, along with the grow bed they make for a huge mass to hold heat, so less heat loss overnight. Typically, the water temperature ranges from 55-65 on the coldest nights/days of the winter.
How does a thermostatically controlled greenhouse work?
idunno.gif

Glad you posted this.. They love shinny things.. I don't wear jewelry when I go love on them.. They also love to peck at buttons..
My mom had lost two diamond ear rings to her chickens. Of course they were from different sets...

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/31227/arizona-chickens/45750#post_13585913 layout=inline]Now that is what I am talking about.. Was there a lot of the weird alge at that water level?[/CONTENTEMBED]

No, no weird algae at all just the regular stuff.  The water clarity was great.  From above at the road it looked aqua-marine.  Up close the visibility was about 3-4'.   It was great swimming there.  I'm still peaking from the fishing.

Ever since the chedisky, spelling, fire the lakes & rivers have a weird alge from the fire retardant.. Canyon lake has so much of it, when we went cliff diving we would jump into it.. Yuck... Did anyone hear about the people that tried to put concrete with re-bar by the cliffs at lake pleasant.. They did get caught.. It was about 2 months ago..

Back
Top Bottom