Arizona Chickens

Guys I've got a friend who lives within the Phoenix city limits and she has 3 pet lullets about 6-8 ,weeks old, built a small coop/pen to confine herbirds to her property and today she had the neighbors come over and threaten to get a lawyer and the city involved if she does not get rid of them. No HOA.

Does anyone know exactly what she is and isn't allowed to do (in simple english terms)?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/phoenix-arizona-chicken-ordinance
I found this it may help but it may be different in different areas of Phoenix. Look up chicken ordinance laws for your friends specific area. From what I've read most ordinances mostly deal with prohibiting roosters.

I was able to get ten fertile eggs from my friend. I placed them out under my broody on Wednesday but she chose to only sit on three. Luckily I was actually thinking ahead and set up my bator just in case and I put the others in there. Of course my automatic egg turner decided to break last night but I think I caught it in time. I candled the ones in the bator today and those that I can see through are looking good. Some are extremely dark olive so I will just have to hope for the best with those. Also, I have been wanting Marans since I began my chicken adventure about five years ago but for one reason or another things never worked out. On Thursday I went into a feed store in another town and to my excitement they had 9 Cuckoo Maran pullets! I couldn't resist, I bought all of them. Funny, in the beginning I just wanted 9-10 layers but I'm up to 40 layers and 100 meaties on the way. LOVE CHICKEN MATH!:ya

I wish I could have 3 coops. Actually today I took down my coop. Going with an open air set up. Wife and I just got finished sewing some outdoor fabric we had for their roof. Anybody have any suggestions for entertainment for them? I'm going to be throwing grass seed and they'll be locked up for a bit. They have some roosts, a swing and a mirror with a few other things for them to jump on.

How do I get in on the seed thing? Although I'm a newbie and don't have any to contribute yet, I'm interested.
K9Dave whomever gets the seed box from me can share it with you. No one has offered to meet me yet so if you want to you can and then others can get from you. :)

They are not as stupid as you think. For success do it after day 21
My Americana(forgive my spelling) was only Broody for 3 days total Before I snuck out from under her the last
Ceramic egg and shoved 2 Just hatched or day old. Copper Maran chicks with 2 green shell pieces around them ( with the chicks each carefully sandwiched in the middle of the 2 eggshell pcs) using my left hand; quickly shoved them under my hen as my right hand took & hid the fake ceramic egg.
This was done around 30-40 mins prior to dusk! Whew! :jumpy :yesss:

I backed off about 5 feet, and moved across the yard & prayed and waited. Marshmallow my hen, roughly 8 -12 minutes later, got up& left the nest. The chicks cried for her. 15 mins she decided to check on them. About 15 more minutes passed & my hen went back to another nest. AGAIN, quickly, I shoved the chicks under her body. 3-5 minutes later, she left the nest and flew up to the peach tree with my other three 11mo. hens! It worked and I was happy! A week and a half later she started laying eggs again. :celebrate

NOTE: I checked my nests 3 -4 times a day to keep them free of eggs. * I Did Not leave any more ceramic eggs in the nests.

.....So I hope it works for some other Broody hens!

Last edited:
hi all. man in just a few days there is 5 new pages of thread to read.  :eek:

sry to everyone with hardware issues in their chickens, that is never good in any animal but very common for livestock and birds (even wild birds) love shiny things. 

So the seed box is going with me to Phx on June 6th. Who would like to meet up and pick it up from me? There are so many fun seeds from Gallo and I have added just a few. I promise to have more next time around. 

Gallo I am sooo jealous of you going to salt river. we used to go every Easter but when my grandma got put on oxygen we stopped. I miss it. Maybe I should take my boys there. 

We are finishing our 3rd chicken coop and will be building a new coop soon. so many chickens so little time. lol j/k. we are  trying to separate breeds and colors of breeds. 

I hope everyone is living through the heat ok. our girls (and guys) seem to be doing just fine. thankfully. 

My macaw is attracted to buttons, too. He can snap one in half before you even know it.

My pile of extra organic layer pellet bags is getting smaller, but I still have about 40 bags to sell. PM me if interested.

Are you near Phoenix? :)

K9Dave whomever gets the seed box from me can share it with you. No one has offered to meet me yet so if you want to you can and then others can get from you. :)
I'm in Mesa I may be able to go to central phx to meet! I'm new at some of this also! My first batch of chick raised hens became 1 years old on Mothers day! My present to me! ;)

Guys I've got a friend who lives within the Phoenix city limits and she has 3 pet lullets about 6-8 ,weeks old, built a small coop/pen to confine herbirds to her property and today she had the neighbors come over and threaten to get a lawyer and the city involved if she does not get rid of them. No HOA.

Does anyone know exactly what she is and isn't allowed to do (in simple english terms)?

Yes, so as someone else posted the link for Phoenix ordinances, there's really nothing the neighbor can do legally because the city allows chickens. However, the coop had to be more than 80 ft away from any neighboring residences, she can't have more than 20 chickens, no roosters, and the coop must be maintained to prevent "noxious odors", etc. http://www.codepublishing.com/az/phoenix/frameless/index.pl?path=../html/Phoenix08/Phoenix0807.html

Thing is though, even though she may be legally in the right, she may want to attempt to mend fences with the neighbor. Chicken feuds are never good, and maybe there's something she can do to make the neighbor feel a bit better about the chickens. Good luck to her.

@NoSkiveez, do you know why the neighbor complained or how he learned of the chickens, btw? If it's 3 pullets, 8 weeks or less, they wouldn't even be making any noise yet. Does he not like the enclosure she built? Tell her to find out what the issue really is, might be easier to solve things.

How does a thermostatically controlled greenhouse work?
idunno.gif

At one end of the greenhouse near the ground is a motorized intake vent and at the other end near the top is a louvered fan, both are wired to a thermostat (here are the parts). I set the temperature at, say, 85 degrees and when it exceeds that, the intake vent opens up and the exhaust fan turns on. This will exchange the entire volume of air in the greenhouse in about a minute, bringing the temperature down and turning off the intake vent and exhaust fan. You also have to have a horizontal air flow fan (HAF) to circulate the air around inside when the vents/fan are not on (important feature if you have a greenhouse sealed with poly). The HAF fan is on a timer and runs during the warmer hours of the day. The ventilation was the most expensive part of the greenhouse, but essential given I wanted to cover it with poly.

Intake vent:

Exhaust fan:

Found this
http://www.codepublishing.com/az/phoenix/frameless/index.pl?path=../html/Phoenix08/Phoenix0807.html

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom