Arizona Chickens

I'm guessing you have never had a rooster before and this is a relatively young bird. Even though you think you get along with this bird, it is behaving in a way that can get progressively more aggressive and dangerous. Pecking at your feet is the first step toward flogging. It will get worse over time. 

Every aggressive rooster I've had has started by pecking at my feet for a few weeks, before the behavior started to escalate. This bird is IN. YOUR. HOUSE. What are you going to do when it eventually flies at you feet first, slashing and drawing blood as it goes? It's not just your safety that's at issue. The bird doesn't like your husband.

If your husband has been putting up with this bird - indoors, no less - he is some kind of saint. Why don't you show your husband some love and serve him that bird on a platter? If you can't eat it, give it or sell it to someone who can. If you don't remove the bird before someone gets hurt, the HOA will be the least of your worries.

We had a long heart to heart last night about his future...the bird, not the husband, lol. The Roo is now 6 months old. I realize he isn't going to be docile and will only get worse as he ages. He has been like a puppy following me around but there is no love lost between him and the hubby. Just need to find him a new home I guess. It's nice to read other opinions, it really helps to face the facts of the situation. Keeps me from being in denial.

We had a long heart to heart last night about his future...the bird, not the husband, lol. The Roo is now 6 months old. I realize he isn't going to be docile and will only get worse as he ages. He has been like a puppy following me around but there is no love lost between him and the hubby. Just need to find him a new home I guess. It's nice to read other opinions, it really helps to face the facts of the situation. Keeps me from being in denial.
Just in case you didn't know, I believe The Stock Shop down on 67th Ave and Thunderbird will take your rooster. I've seen people dropping their rooster's off to them and then I believe they sell them. That's of course if you don't want to invite the rooster to supper.

Just in case you didn't know, I believe The Stock Shop down on 67th Ave and Thunderbird will take your rooster. I've seen people dropping their rooster's off to them and then I believe they sell them. That's of course if you don't want to invite the rooster to supper. 

Good to know! Always good to have options!

I live in Oro Valley. By now I'm sure you are reconsidering the move especially in light of your desire for chickens. Catalina would be a better bet, just north of OV for this purpose. My nosy neighbor walked into my backyard uninvited and unannounced two times in just one day! He's the neighborhood snitch for our HOA. OV is HOA-paralyzed. Beautiful place, love my house, don't care for the neighbors, and HOA restrictions make us Stepford people!
Think I'd be advising him about trespassing. Especially if entering an enclosed area. Plus, I'd make sure the locks were on the gates.

yee! Im trying to find ideas of what people grow here so I can paint garden labels and signs that people actually need...

What is stuff people grow in AZ that flourish and are rather useful?
Call around to the more local garden centers. They tend to carry plants that do best in the area. I know my local carries nectarine, peaches, an apple variety or two, plum etc.

I'd paint a huge variety. Some people might like them for gifts for people in other areas or even as general decor. You could also do various signs for "____ crossing" like toad, goat, chick, pig, etc. I could it see it appealing to some of us crazy critter people.

I like those troughs, they sell them at the feed store down on 36th st, just off of 6th (?) avenue. They go for about $150 bucks, at least the 226 (2x2x6ft), and hope to get a couple of them. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

@DesertChic

So yesterday I decided to move my little naked necks from their little brick enclosure into a bigger cage. Well, everything seemed to go great and they were super happy. But this morning, I woke up to see a dead chick laying out side the pen. So,I walked out there to go check it out. When I got closer, I saw the the the huge boulders by the door had been moved and a huge hole had been dug leading into the pen. It looked like a massacre inside. Feathers everywhere, and all 13 chicks gone. I walked around my property and found 3 other bodies. What could have done this?

@DesertChic

So yesterday I decided to move my little naked necks from their little brick enclosure into a bigger cage. Well, everything seemed to go great and they were super happy. But this morning, I woke up to see a dead chick laying out side the pen. So,I walked out there to go check it out. When I got closer, I saw the the the huge boulders by the door had been moved and a huge hole had been dug leading into the pen. It looked like a massacre inside. Feathers everywhere, and all 13 chicks gone. I walked around my property and found 3 other bodies. What could have done this?

Look around closely for telltale tracks. Not as gpod as fingerprints but imformative just the same.

There is a stray duchshund in ou Neighborhood.....
Like Desertrocks said - your best bet is to look at the tracks. It could have been a lot of things. I don't know your exact location so it's hard to say what all is in your area. For example if you're near a stream, coons are a possibility but if you're not they are unlikely. Just guessing, but if you're not near water my first guess would be a coyote.

In the future you probably want to dig your fencing (hardware cloth) down at least 1' minimum. If that's too difficult due to rocks, etc., put a hardware cloth skirt around your coop/run that stretches out at least 3' from the base.

Back
Top Bottom