Arizona Chickens

Hi everyone, do you have any tips for introducing dogs to your chickens? We were recently offered two dogs from a family friend who’s moving and were worried they’ll be aggressive towards the five chickens we have. The chickens are about five months old and do good around people but we aren’t sure how they’ll react to two doggos

Hi everyone, do you have any tips for introducing dogs to your chickens? We were recently offered two dogs from a family friend who’s moving and were worried they’ll be aggressive towards the five chickens we have. The chickens are about five months old and do good around people but we aren’t sure how they’ll react to two doggos

They'll run from the dogs. Do you know if the dogs have ever been around chickens? Have you ever had dogs before? What kind are they?

They'll run from the dogs. Do you know if the dogs have ever been around chickens? Have you ever had dogs before? What kind are they?
As far as I know, they haven’t had any chicken interaction. They’re both about two years old and it’s one chihuahua and a bearded collie. My mother in law had a chihuahua that we’d babysit on occasion but we kept them separate

As far as I know, they haven’t had any chicken interaction. They’re both about two years old and it’s one chihuahua and a bearded collie. My mother in law had a chihuahua that we’d babysit on occasion but we kept them separate

I would introduce on leash to prevent chasing and see how things go. Your birds will likely bolt if the dogs act as though they'll chase and that's what you often need to curtail. The desire to chase prey.

I would be most concerned with the collie but the Chihuahua could also feel that desire.

I have a fence, one yard for dogs and one for chickens.

I would introduce on leash to prevent chasing and see how things go. Your birds will likely bolt if the dogs act as though they'll chase and that's what you often need to curtail. The desire to chase prey.

I would be most concerned with the collie but the Chihuahua could also feel that desire.

I have a fence, one yard for dogs and one for chickens.
I might just fence off a portion of the yard for the chickens to free range but thank you for the help:)

I might just fence off a portion of the yard for the chickens to free range but thank you for the help:)

My pleasure. You can get fencing that you can pound posts into the ground and attach panels. It's not particularly cheap but cheaper than a chain link or something else. Fortunately for us our dogs only need a "mental" barrier.

Back
Top Bottom