Arizona Chickens

If it's not too far out for you could coop in on Fri night; coop out isn't until sun anyway; you just might not get to watch the judging. But you don't have to be present; you probably know someone personally that is there and you could ask to watch out for your birds.
I would love to but we have to set up vendor spaces on Friday after school and we have over 30 vendors, food trucks, face painting etc so it will take a bit

I lost a coopful of littles and my Stan and Georgette (silkies) to a predator last week. It was a new (used) coop, and I guess I didn't proof it enough. I was too heartbroken to even post about it. Thank goodness for @AZChiknGoddess and @a little chicken. They were so supportive.

A friend came over a couple of days ago and helped me reinforce the coop. It's not Fort Knox, but it's on its way. Unfortunately I don't have the money right now to buy materials to put a roof on the pen for the big girls. I am worried because the predator was pretty brazen, attacking during the day with dogs outside.

AND ... today around 5:30, I went out to close the door of the big girls' coop and saw a movement out of the corner of my eye: a medium-sized, darker colored bobcat, hopping over my chain link fence into the driveway/front yeard. Sigh. I don't think I can close the six big girls up all day/night in a coop meant for three. @AZChiknGoddess has offered to foster them until I can secure their pen with a roof. I may have to do that because that bobcat can hop out of that pen easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. She also suggested putting up a couple of strands of hotwire until I can do so.

If anyone has any advice ... or used materials, would you let me know?

Thank you so much. You guys are great!

I have an old pool you can have, its really thick and might work and I also have the frame. also there is a place here on the southwest side that has free pallets
That little hen is giving the dog the evil eye!
She really is lol

Last edited:

I'm still new to chickens, but I'm composting mine. And I used fresh in the coop. I think I'm going to go to sand under the roost, once I build it lol.

Maybe its not a hen? Have you kept it alone to see if its really laying eggs? That's what I would do just to make sure. If you have then maybe its just confused haha.
Since she's a red sex link it would be pretty difficult for her to be an actual rooster. She tries to crow, but it sounds like a dying cow. But this was the first time I'd seen her mounting other hens.

Hens will mount other hens to exert dominance in the hierarchy. My top bird (BA) does it all the time, mostly with the very low ranking birds. As a funny aside, when I was treating her for bumble foot we had her in a dog crate in the dining room because we didn't have a predator proof spot outside. At about 5 am on the second morning we were all woken to the ear shattering sound of her executing a perfect crow! She sounded just like a rooster who had been crowing for years, even though it was the first time in the five years of having her that we heard her try. While she was in the crate, every morning after that she would crow when she heard her flock mates outside. I so much wanted to get it on video but I kept missing it. She hasn't crowed again since she was returned to the flock.
I knew that dogs will, but not hens. Now I know.

For you folks that brood chicks, do you take out their old litter and spread it out in their future run? --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona
I compost mine too. I put new litter in the run.

Does anyone know how to contact the staff at BYC? For some reason I am no longer receiving email updates? I did go into settings and change a few things, plus did the FAQ page. I might have missed it?

Here is the best place to get questions like that answered.  I just discovered that I had not been receiving notifications to my mealworm page for some time too.

Thank you. Now that my free membership of the golden feathers expired, I was thinking it was from that? I will check it out.. Our westfalia is in the shop. Hoping to come down that way soon.
I can bring the seed box..

Back
Top Bottom