Arizona Chickens

My EE, Billy, seems to have dry fowl pox. I noticed it last night and thought maybe she injured herself on something but after seeing your post it looks exactly like the dry pox. So, for those experienced, she is the only one with symptoms out of my 18 birds. Should I separate her? Is there anything I can do for her or the others to prevent this from spreading? And lastly, what are the chances that this will kill Billy or my other chickens? Ugh!!!

I noticed one of mine has fowl pox also. Is it because it's cooling off and the virus is more active here? No one had it in the heat. I know the wild birds can carry it, and the darn sparrows keep finding ways to get into the chickens' run.
somad.gif

I might have to tube feed my hen that has the pox. She seems to be having a hard time eating, or rather seeing. When I give them their BSF larvae for treats every day she can't really get the larvae, she grabs next to them. I take her off by herself she she can get a nice handful to eat without trying to hurry. But she is still very light so must not be eating much dry or fermented food either and those are easy to eat. It's been a long time since I've tube fed a bird, time to brush up on my skills.

Knowing which vaccine and where to get it would be good knowledge to have on hand. Inquiring minds???
Ok so I just wanted to share my experience. My neighbors have a ton of tires with water in it and we have tons of mosquito's. I have had wet and dry pox. The wet pox is very difficult to deal with as they get very ill. I am using vet rx, Vit b12, and garlic to combat them. This has helped and since I started this treatment I have saved them. The original ones I did not know what was going on and they were declining fast so I had my husband put them down. I have not separated mine unless they had wet pox and then only because they need a lot more one on one care. It has been a very hard experience but I chose NOT to vaccinate myself as once they get it they can never get it again. It does not shed like other diseases do. Once they have it they get over it you are good. If you vaccinate you will have to continue to do so. Just my opinion though. I am sry you are all going through this. It gets better I promise.

all feeds stores and TSC can get the vaccine in for you. It is also available online. 2 types. one for younger birds and one for older birds.

Last edited:
My EE, Billy, seems to have dry fowl pox. I noticed it last night and thought maybe she injured herself on something but after seeing your post it looks exactly like the dry pox. So, for those experienced, she is the only one with symptoms out of my 18 birds. Should I separate her? Is there anything I can do for her or the others to prevent this from spreading? And lastly, what are the chances that this will kill Billy or my other chickens? Ugh!!!
I noticed one of mine has fowl pox also. Is it because it's cooling off and the virus is more active here? No one had it in the heat. I know the wild birds can carry it, and the darn sparrows keep finding ways to get into the chickens' run. :mad: I might have to tube feed my hen that has the pox. She seems to be having a hard time eating, or rather seeing. When I give them their BSF larvae for treats every day she can't really get the larvae, she grabs next to them. I take her off by herself she she can get a nice handful to eat without trying to hurry. But she is still very light so must not be eating much dry or fermented food either and those are easy to eat. It's been a long time since I've tube fed a bird, time to brush up on my skills.
Knowing which vaccine and where to get it would be good knowledge to have on hand. Inquiring minds???
Ok so I just wanted to share my experience. My neighbors have a ton of tires with water in it and we have tons of mosquito's. I have had wet and dry pox. The wet pox is very difficult to deal with as they get very ill. I am using vet rx, Vit b12, and garlic to combat them. This has helped and since I started this treatment I have saved them. The original ones I did not know what was going on and they were declining fast so I had my husband put them down. I have not separated mine unless they had wet pox and then only because they need a lot more one on one care. It has been a very hard experience but I chose NOT to vaccinate myself as once they get it they can never get it again. It does not shed like other diseases do. Once they have it they get over it you are good. If you vaccinate you will have to continue to do so. Just my opinion though. I am sry you are all going through this. It gets better I promise. all feeds stores and TSC can get the vaccine in for you. It is also available online. 2 types. one for younger birds and one for older birds.
Thanks for chiming in on this. Never had this, so you know at first it seems devastating. Again, just part of having a flock.. This is why we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, our duck's. Just read up on crested.. Not a good idea they say.. And I love the crested!!

Thanks for chiming in on this. Never had this, so you know at first it seems devastating. Again, just part of having a flock.. This is why we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, our duck's. Just read up on crested.. Not a good idea they say.. And I love the crested!!
white crested do not have the neurological issues that other breeds get when they have a crest. but my crested drake was very mean to other drakes.

I have one tom turkey left unpromised for Christmas. PM me if interested!

We had an early Thanksgiving last night because my Thanksgiving toms ganged up on one and killed him. Never had that happen before! But there he was, dead in the morning and I know it was the others because they had been fussing with each other like crazy that day and he had a peck hole in the back of his head. We processed him right away. Of course, he was not bled out like usual since already dead.

We cooked that turkey yesterday. Brined for a day using 2 c salt, 1 c sugar, 1 T each of sage, paprika, marjoram, onion powder in one gallon of water.
Cooked in a turkey sized oven bag (he just barely fit: he was 15+ lbs processed) at 275 degrees from 10 am to 6 pm with a cut up apple and about a cup of the brine in the body cavity.
The meat was falling completely off the bone after that time and I think it was the best turkey I've ever had! I wonder if not bleeding out actually added to the flavor and moisture?

I also have pox going through my flock. 3 had just dry pox and 2 had wet pox. one of those two died before I figured out what was going on. I only saw scabs until I looked in her mouth, then I saw all the white stuff. I scraped out as much as I could without hurting her and it helped a lot! Also I read somewhere pumpkin does good things for their immune systems so I have been cooking them pumpkin. Also Apple cider Vinegar in their water and vitamins in the water. They all love the pumpkin and the few that just had the dry pox cleared up pretty fast, and the one with wet pox is clearing up as well. My neighbor has a pool that is green and doesn't do anything with it. We have mosquitos soooo bad!! I need to call the city.
barnie.gif

I also have pox going through my flock. 3 had just dry pox and 2 had wet pox. one of those two died before I figured out what was going on. I only saw scabs until I looked in her mouth, then I saw all the white stuff. I scraped out as much as I could without hurting her and it helped a lot! Also I read somewhere pumpkin does good things for their immune systems so I have been cooking them pumpkin. Also Apple cider Vinegar in their water and vitamins in the water. They all love the pumpkin and the few that just had the dry pox cleared up pretty fast, and the one with wet pox is clearing up as well. My neighbor has a pool that is green and doesn't do anything with it. We have mosquitos soooo bad!! I need to call the city.
barnie.gif

Alert - AZ Lurker post!
big_smile.png

Chiming in on the wet & dry fowl pox -

After we moved our flock from AZ to SE GA, that winter a number of ours came down with the dry pox, and maybe 3-4 with the wet pox in various levels of awfulness. It is definitely caused by mosquitos which there are a LOT of here!

I read up on both as much as I could, and dabbed Betadine on the dry pox scabs (mostly on combs and wattles) daily, and (I think) dabbed a diluted betadine solution in the mouths of the wet pox sufferers (they got the wet pox in the corner of the mouth/beak (inside), top of the mouth/palate, back of the throat. (I am not sure whether or not the Betadine was diluted for the wet pox so please do some research first before possibly trying this in their mouths). I checked the wet pox 2x a day because that nasty cheezy stuff grows quickly and you don't want it to block their airway.

Thankfully all of ours made it, including a very sick 2 week old tiny Serama chick that got wet pox really, really bad. She is one tough cookie - the wet pox got in her sinus and nostril and made her eye swell shut for a week and a half. I felt so horrible for her - almost put her down a couple of times but she pulled through and is the tiny bossy terror now in the chicken run
love.gif

I have one tom turkey left unpromised for Christmas. PM me if interested!

We had an early Thanksgiving last night because my Thanksgiving toms ganged up on one and killed him. Never had that happen before! But there he was, dead in the morning and I know it was the others because they had been fussing with each other like crazy that day and he had a peck hole in the back of his head. We processed him right away. Of course, he was not bled out like usual since already dead.

We cooked that turkey yesterday. Brined for a day using 2 c salt, 1 c sugar, 1 T each of sage, paprika, marjoram, onion powder in one gallon of water.
Cooked in a turkey sized oven bag (he just barely fit: he was 15+ lbs processed) at 275 degrees from 10 am to 6 pm with a cut up apple and about a cup of the brine in the body cavity.
The meat was falling completely off the bone after that time and I think it was the best turkey I've ever had! I wonder if not bleeding out actually added to the flavor and moisture?

Sounds delish.. Thanks for the recipe

I also have pox going through my flock. 3 had just dry pox and 2 had wet pox. one of those two died before I figured out what was going on. I only saw scabs until I looked in her mouth, then I saw all the white stuff. I scraped out as much as I could without hurting her and it helped a lot! Also I read somewhere pumpkin does good things for their immune systems so I have been cooking them pumpkin. Also Apple cider Vinegar in their water and vitamins in the water. They all love the pumpkin and the few that just had the dry pox cleared up pretty fast, and the one with wet pox is clearing up as well. My neighbor has a pool that is green and doesn't do anything with it. We have mosquitos soooo bad!! I need to call the city. :barnie

Alert - AZ Lurker post! :D

Chiming in on the wet & dry fowl pox -

After we moved our flock from AZ to SE GA, that winter a number of ours came down with the dry pox, and maybe 3-4 with the wet pox in various levels of awfulness.  It is definitely caused by mosquitos which there are a LOT of here!

I read up on both as much as I could, and dabbed Betadine on the dry pox scabs (mostly on combs and wattles) daily, and (I think) dabbed a diluted betadine solution in the mouths of the wet pox sufferers (they got the wet pox in the corner of the mouth/beak (inside), top of the mouth/palate, back of the throat.  (I am not sure whether or not the Betadine was diluted for the wet pox so please do some research first before possibly trying this in their mouths).  I checked the wet pox 2x a day because that nasty cheezy stuff grows quickly and you don't want it to block their airway.  

Thankfully all of ours made it, including a very sick 2 week old tiny Serama chick that got wet pox really, really bad.  She is one tough cookie - the wet pox got in her sinus and nostril and made her eye swell shut for a week and a half.  I felt so horrible for her - almost put her down a couple of times but she pulled through and is the tiny bossy terror now in the chicken run :love

So glad you joined in..thanks..

Because I have several ponds my yard is a mosquito magnet. There are no larvae in the ponds because they all have mosquito eating minnows who do a super job of eating anything that might try developing, but the mosquitoes still try. I see their egg rafts in the mornings before the fish eventually find them and eat them. So my birds are always exposed to mosquitoes that are drawn to my yard.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom