Arizona Chickens

For those of you following the story of Amy, the chick that survived a hawk.....  
She is back out with her sisters and mama! 
She is not quite 100%.  She still carries her left wing a little low most of the time, but not all of the time, so I think that will get better as she gets stronger.  She is still a little cautious about running and flapping, but has no problem dust bathing. 

I also found a good home for my BA rooster, Puffin, today.  The guy that took him already sent me a video of Puffin crowing.  I think he is happy to have the no-crow collar off because he was really going at it.  He said my rooster established himself as boss right away(one other smaller rooster in the flock).  He really is a pretty boy and I'm glad he has a flock of his own.

I'm also glad that all of Penguins chicks look like pullets.  They are almost 9 weeks and no signs of cockerel!  The rooster thing is hard. Every time I get chicks I say we'll just eat a rooster if we get one, but then we end up getting attached, try to keep it, and end up having to find it a home.
...... so good to hear! Way to go Amy, you showed that Hawk can't keep you down! ;)

I got to go to the show but I was late on Sat and did not get to meet many ppl. I managed to refrain from buying any birds. So amazing the differences between show stock and hatchery stock. I had a great time and I know what I am looking for with my show stock. I am looking forward to showing soon. I have been so busy hatching out NN chicks and ducklings. I just love them. Let me know if anyone is interested in any. :) I am super excited my Ameraucanas have started laying so I will be putting them in the incubator soon.

I really wanted to meet more of youo guys at the show. Hopefully soon.

Frizzell was cold so I brought him in the house, and he got all snuggle buggle :D I think he might have to be my inside chicken now lol!

For those of you following the story of Amy, the chick that survived a hawk.....  
She is back out with her sisters and mama! 
She is not quite 100%.  She still carries her left wing a little low most of the time, but not all of the time, so I think that will get better as she gets stronger.  She is still a little cautious about running and flapping, but has no problem dust bathing. 

I also found a good home for my BA rooster, Puffin, today.  The guy that took him already sent me a video of Puffin crowing.  I think he is happy to have the no-crow collar off because he was really going at it.  He said my rooster established himself as boss right away(one other smaller rooster in the flock).  He really is a pretty boy and I'm glad he has a flock of his own.

I'm also glad that all of Penguins chicks look like pullets.  They are almost 9 weeks and no signs of cockerel!  The rooster thing is hard. Every time I get chicks I say we'll just eat a rooster if we get one, but then we end up getting attached, try to keep it, and end up having to find it a home.

Yea Amy! So happy she's doing well & back with her flock. Her wing may heal yet, give her time.

My naked neck mix rooster didn't stop crowing until I made the second anti-crow collar with sew on velcro instead of the type with the sticky back. Life sounds so much better now. I can't hear him at at all. My theory on the rooster mounting thingy IS, he will mount any hen that lets him and as often as she lets him. Some of my girls have all of their feathers, others well I do think I need to cloth them with saddles. They look naked, So Sad. Of course they are molting also. tut tut
totally glad to know that that worked, I did not have any luck with it. Our next rooster will be one from our current flock. we for sure have a bielefelder now. I hear they get the size of Turkey so not sure if we'll keep him. Our WA is a hen, so the 2 isbar's & or the splash French bresse could be rooster's. The next hatch will have a cream legbar mix.. oh also a swedish..

I got to go to the show but I was late on Sat and did not get to meet many ppl. I managed to refrain from buying any birds. So amazing the differences between show stock and hatchery stock. I had a great time and I know what I am looking for with my show stock. I am looking forward to showing soon. I have been so busy hatching out NN chicks and ducklings. I just love them. Let me know if anyone is interested in any. :) I am super excited my Ameraucanas have started laying so I will be putting them in the incubator soon. I really wanted to meet more of youo guys at the show. Hopefully soon.
that sound eggsighting..

I know green valley and exploding heads. Hahah, I have driven the man crazy with my constant expansions. I have a good friend who lives out in your neck of the woods!

It's a beautiful area down here...very low crime, peaceful....I never thought I'd enjoy leaving so near a "retirement community" while still being so far from retirement age. :)

Right now I'm considering doing some conservation and improvement breeding of the Silver Grey Dorking. I know it will be a huge undertaking and require three more coops and a larger, enclosed run area but I'm still seriously considering it. I just informed my husband that next spring I may have around 30+ new chicks running around here. So far he's taking it pretty well. I'm wondering if he's fully awake. 

SLD are gorgeous if only their egg's were green or blue.. & if their egg production is better than GOOD.. . I can't wait to see your new flock..

SLD are gorgeous if only their egg's were green or blue.. & if their egg production is better than GOOD.. . I can't wait to see your new flock..

It's going to be a while before I can start on them. Believe me, right now I'm ready to have 50 baby chicks running around to coo over, but I promised my husband that I won't buy any more until I finish building the run, finish fencing in the yard, and then build at least one more coop. I'm the carpenter in the family, which has it's pluses and minuses. On the good side, I don't have to wait for someone else to do the work or become a pest about it. On the bad side, when I'm short on spare time then nothing gets done, and with family life, a business to run, and now a chicken...time does become an expensive commodity.
cool.png

I got to go to the show but I was late on Sat and did not get to meet many ppl. I managed to refrain from buying any birds. So amazing the differences between show stock and hatchery stock. I had a great time and I know what I am looking for with my show stock. I am looking forward to showing soon. I have been so busy hatching out NN chicks and ducklings. I just love them. Let me know if anyone is interested in any. :) I am super excited my Ameraucanas have started laying so I will be putting them in the incubator soon.

I really wanted to meet more of youo guys at the show. Hopefully soon.
Cute chicks! What kind of Ameraucanas do you have?

Frizzell was cold so I brought him in the house, and he got all snuggle buggle
big_smile.png
I think he might have to be my inside chicken now lol!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom