Arizona Chickens

Did you post on the Heritage RIR thread? This is a production red and it looks like a pullet.

Oh no, I didn't know there was a difference or actually didn't even have the knowledge that there was a difference until now. Thank you for the information.

Ya gotta start somewhere .. Here on BYC is a great start..

where can I buy them at I want to build a spot for them

What are wanting to purchase ?

Hi everyone, we're on a roadtrip and while my husband has been driving the past 10 hours, I have finally caught up on this thread. Yea, it's been that long, I'm ashamed.
So much has been going on, but I am glad to see that I am not the only one who needs a support group for hatching. The last few months I've helped hatches at 3 schools and had a broody hen do her thing so I'm currently overrun with various ages of chicks. All fathered by my Optimus Prime.
@dofnup if you can, consider keeping your Brahma, in my experience they don't crow near as loud as other breeds and are just fascinating. I'd take yours, but I'm sure I'm raising at least 12 cockerels already.
@City farm I have discovered I have 2 duck pairs. One pekin the other pair is something smaller and brown. They were all purchased as pekin but I also bought 4 buff Orpington from that feed store and 3 grew up to be new Hampshire red, so...
I planted my first fruit tree at the new place, an Anna Apple from A&P, I'm pretty excited about this. It's such better quality than the HD trees I bought for my old house.
I'm hoping I'll stay caught up on the thread while I'm off work this summer!

We are hoping that 2 of the Muscovy's ducklings are brown.. Don't you just love them? Did you handle them when they were younger? Oh Optimus
Prime was the man!! So good to hear from you, pop on over for tea soon..

I just bought a mobile swamp cooler/fan for my chicken cabin, and misters for the runs, plus more shade cloth. I also give them ice in their water, freeze water in bottles for them to lay around, hose down the earth so they have cool places to dig into, keep a small "pool" of cool water for them to soak their feet in...or for me to soak their feet in if they seem overheated, and feed them frozen veggies and chilled watermelon. I'm utterly paranoid that I'll lose some of my beloved feathered friends this coming week...especially my Bielefelders, which seem to be really struggling with the heat. 

Got the fan going and wetting down their run twice a day. Ice in the water which they like, but I will add frozen veggies. 5 of them are 13 weeks so not babies, I do have some silkies that are younger and I am doing the same for them. If it gets really bad I will bring then inside for the week.

not to sound dumb, but what is BBS? I'm assuming these cuties are all orphingtons! I know you have some gorgeous birds! :D
Do you sell chick's, teenagers or adult birds? You say you have cuckoo orphingtons or is it cuckoo marans also? :)
Hope you don't mind me asking! I have some new neighbors a block or two away and fortunately for me I found out they've got their own little chicken farm and enjoy their chickens about as much as I enjoy mine! so I'd love to be the neighborhood go to, for where to find great resources & breeders for quality heritage birds.

Sorry! I can probably carry on an entire conversation in acronyms :)
BBS= Black Blue Splash. In the Orpingtons I breed Chocolate Cuckoos but I also breed Golden Cuckoo Marans, those are the only two cuckoo patterning I now have. I'm giving all the girls a break right now so most of the roosters are together, the ones that play nice together, and the girls are all together. Despite that I have several Orp girls broody!
I do sometimes sell juvenile pairs, trios or quads, I sell chicks but rarely sell adults. I also sell hatching eggs. My Orpingtons come from The Fancy Chick, Ewe Crazy, Old Orchard, Autumn Farms, Launi Hubbard and Keith's Orps.
I consider my Golden Cuckoo Marans a project and I'm at F4 currently going into 5. Frustrating really, as I'll get dark egg color but then get squirrel tail or something else! Eventually I'll get there...

I just bought a mobile swamp cooler/fan for my chicken cabin, and misters for the runs, plus more shade cloth. I also give them ice in their water, freeze water in bottles for them to lay around, hose down the earth so they have cool places to dig into, keep a small "pool" of cool water for them to soak their feet in...or for me to soak their feet in if they seem overheated, and feed them frozen veggies and chilled watermelon. I'm utterly paranoid that I'll lose some of my beloved feathered friends this coming week...especially my Bielefelders, which seem to be really struggling with the heat. 

Got the fan going and wetting down their run twice a day. Ice in the water which they like, but I will add frozen veggies. 5 of them are 13 weeks so not babies, I do have some silkies that are younger and I am doing the same for them. If it gets really bad I will bring then inside for the week.

:old
Just a word of caution, I would think allowing them to get acclimated to heat would help them. And if the are brought inside, when its real hot, I wonder if that would end up being a detriment to them, & I wonder whether or not they might feel like its a shock to their system to be in the hot weather when it's over a hundred degrees. anybody with more experience the meeting might be able to chime in. @ChuskaMtns@desertmarcy
it's just my thoughts as a pursuing medical student.
Everything else sounds wonderful that your doing!

On a side note, and it's probably just me, I'd like to be super careful and I choose not to purchase any misters at least the ones at Home Depot, due to that they had cancer causing ingredients, if you will .. in their materials. So, I'm using watered down ground areas under trees/shrubs, cool water pools of plant saucers and a baby pool for them or me to help keep them cool this summer; with frozen bottles placed in them, as I've used in the previous summer.

Last edited:
not to sound dumb, but what is BBS? I'm assuming these cuties are all orphingtons! I know you have some gorgeous birds! :D
Do you sell chick's, teenagers or adult birds? You say you have cuckoo orphingtons or is it cuckoo marans also? :)
Hope you don't mind me asking! I have some new neighbors a block or two away and fortunately for me I found out they've got their own little chicken farm and enjoy their chickens about as much as I enjoy mine! so I'd love to be the neighborhood go to, for where to find great resources & breeders for quality heritage birds.

Sorry! I can probably carry on an entire conversation in acronyms :)
BBS= Black Blue Splash. In the Orpingtons I breed Chocolate Cuckoos but I also breed Golden Cuckoo Marans, those are the only two cuckoo patterning I now have. I'm giving all the girls a break right now so most of the roosters are together, the ones that play nice together, and the girls are all together. Despite that I have several Orp girls broody!
I do sometimes sell juvenile pairs, trios or quads, I sell chicks but rarely sell adults. I also sell hatching eggs. My Orpingtons come from The Fancy Chick, Ewe Crazy, Old Orchard, Autumn Farms, Launi Hubbard and Keith's Orps.
I consider my Golden Cuckoo Marans a project and I'm at F4 currently going into 5. Frustrating really, as I'll get dark egg color but then get squirrel tail or something else! Eventually I'll get there...

Well, good luck to you as you continue your project, I know you'll do very well, as I find you quite intelligent!
thank you so much for the info and with the eggs that you had given me, I'm probably replacing half of my flock with it, lol. :love
The orphingtons seem to be such sweet birds with lovely dispositions!! :)

:old
Just a word of caution, I would think allowing them to get acclimated to heat would help them. And if the are brought inside, when its real hot, I wonder if that would end up being a detriment to them, & I wonder whether or not they might feel like its a shock to their system to be in the hot weather when it's over a hundred degrees. anybody with more experience the meeting might be able to chime in. @ChuskaMtns@desertmarcy
it's just my thoughts as a pursuing medical student.
Everything else sounds wonderful that your doing!

On a side note, and it's probably just me, I'd like to be super careful and I choose not to purchase any misters at least the ones at Home Depot, due to that they had cancer causing ingredients, if you will .. in their materials. So, I'm using watered down ground areas under trees/shrubs, cool water pools of plant saucers and a baby pool for them or me to help keep them cool this summer; with frozen bottles placed in them, as I've used in the previous summer.

I don't have too much experience but on the one occasion I have brought a chicken inside, I really thought he would not make it, I kept him in the warmest room, with blankets to snuggle in, and returned him outside during the night so the temperature difference wasn't too drastic.
I no longer put a fan or mister for my flock instead gave them more shade, and loosened the dirt so they can dig deeper holes. I worried they would rely too much on my help to keep cool and they have adapted well.

Back
Top Bottom