Arizona Chickens

Good afternoon,
BACK YARD CHICKEN SEED EXCHANGE
It's that time of year again to gather around friend's family & neighbors. All are welcome.
The Knights of Pythians Lodge, 1606 East Apache Boulevard 6-10PM

We need a few volunteer's to help set up and tear down, please private message us for this.
Bring a favorite dish to share, along with your own beverage.. We will do the BYC seed exchange, play games, dart's, & play a game of pool. If you would like to bring fireworks, we will light those off at 9pm

Don't remember if we posted these brat's..

They do relax in this position. The ducks don't seem to stress like the chciken's do.. I can't wait to start getting egg's from them..

Cute! Is it a fairly small breed? Looks like it's about ready to sleep in that position.

No Muscovy's are a heavyweight breed.. They can weigh up to 6 pounds.

So far so good dealing with the heat. I have a question for duck owners tho. I have 2 pair of ducks, and both males seem to prefer the little brown female. Plus the brown male goes after any chicken who crosses his path. Anyway, I noticed the brown female has some scratches near her eye causing the eye to get foamy. I put Vaseline hoping that could help, I can't use blukote so near to the eye. Any ideas? Is there something I can get for her at a feedstore that may help?
Thanks.

Those Drakes can make a mess of the hen's neck.. I would separate them from her completely, just for a while.. Don't know about the eye. Just rince with some eye drops.. Poor girl.. :hugs

I am new to chickens, but not animals. When I was raising show dogs and horses I had a list of things I needed to keep around the house...just in case they got sick ( obviously if it was out of my hands a vet was in order).

What are some of the things you would keep on hands for minor emergencies and basic irritations? I am not feeling prepared to handle these things and need to make a chicken " medical" bag. Help a newbe please.

I know this is gross , but helpful.. Here is a poo chart
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
But also it makes it easy for you if your girl's are friendly.. Easier to handle to do a body check.. Egg bound, mites, bumble foot,& just plain old listlessness .. You will be able to tell by their eye's and demeanor .. You will need a warm salt bath for bumble foot. But mostly, we have on hand antibiotics,Vetericyn.... is one of our favorites, we even use it on ourselves when we get a scratch..
Electrolytes, D.E. food grade, triple antibiotic. I probably forgot a few things, but out of time..
You will learn as you go.. We are all here to help as well! :frow

I am new to chickens, but not animals. When I was raising show dogs and horses I had a list of things I needed to keep around the house...just in case they got sick ( obviously if it was out of my hands a vet was in order).

What are some of the things you would keep on hands for minor emergencies and basic irritations? I am not feeling prepared to handle these things and need to make a chicken " medical" bag. Help a newbe please.

The big difference between chickens and show dogs or horses is that chickens are Friends AND Food. It takes a different management mindset.

Healthy chickens have excellent immune systems, and they generally heal quickly from most minor injuries without intervention.

My chicken "medical" kit consists of a wire dog kennel for quarantine and a sharp knife for culling. I will put a mildly injured bird in quarantine if it is getting picked on. This allows the bird to heal in peace.

I cull seriously injured or obviously ill birds. I bury the carcasses if the birds were sick or if the injury spoiled the meat. Otherwise I eat them.

Practice good flock management. Improve your flock by getting rid of the weaker birds and keeping the stronger, healthy ones. A good way to get rid of the weaker birds is to eat them before they get sick or seriously injured.
smile.png

The big difference between chickens and show dogs or horses is that chickens are Friends AND Food.  It takes a different management mindset.

Healthy chickens have excellent immune systems, and they generally heal quickly from most minor injuries without intervention.

My chicken "medical" kit consists of a wire dog kennel for quarantine and a sharp knife for culling.  I will put a mildly injured bird in quarantine if it is getting picked on.  This allows the bird to heal in peace.

I cull seriously injured or obviously ill birds.  I bury the carcasses if the birds were sick or if the injury spoiled the meat.  Otherwise I eat them.

Practice good flock management.  Improve your flock by getting rid of the weaker birds and keeping the stronger, healthy ones. A good way to get rid of the weaker birds is to eat them before they get sick or seriously injured. :)

You are certainly correct about the friends and food. So you don't have any kind of ointment or spray or???? The wire kennel is not a problem. I am not yet at the point where I can eat them, but give me a few seasons and I can see myself being able to..maybe. My husband spent summers on his grandpas farm, and doesn't have a problem culling them, but they are all under 14 weeks and aren't even laying yet, so I haven't had to toughen up.

They are receiving good food, have clean/cool water and a clean coop and run and I am able to supervise them free roaming every day. So far they are physically and mentally health ( even with this oppressive heat we are having).
Thank you for the advice.

I know this is gross , but helpful.. Here is a poo chart
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
But also it makes it easy for you if your girl's are friendly.. Easier to handle to do a body check.. Egg bound, mites, bumble foot,& just plain old listlessness .. You will be able to tell by their eye's and demeanor .. You will need a warm salt bath for bumble foot. But mostly, we have on hand antibiotics,Vetericyn.... is one of our favorites, we even use it on ourselves when we get a scratch..
Electrolytes, D.E. food grade, triple antibiotic. I probably forgot a few things, but out of time..
You will learn as you go.. We are all here to help as well! :frow

Thank you...I am certainly not grossed out by the poo chart, it is a good indicator of health. All but one of my girls is friendly, the other one is simply flighty and has to be cornered.

Back
Top Bottom