Arizona Chickens

Oh my goodness, yes. And I wouldn't rely on a rooster. You need heavy wire, chicken wire only keeps chicken in, doesn't keep predators out. Put a skirt of wire out 2' around the perimeter also to keep them from digging under. Once you start keeping chickens, the predators will come.

Thanks for the tip. We are doing the skirt and folding and burying it. Chicken math has gotten away from me so I'm trying to find a way to have more coops and not have to pen them up 24/7.

Thanks for the tip. We are doing the skirt and folding and burying it. Chicken math has gotten away from me so I'm trying to find a way to have more coops and not have to pen them up 24/7.
A heavy wire top is necessary as many predators climb. This applies to your chicken run also. Consider that roadrunners and hawks swoop down and snatch anything thay want to eat. My run is covered in thick aviary netting and chain link. I have hear my flock making the loudest din and there on the roof next door was a roadrunner who departed when I came outside. My birds prefer the safety of their run unless I am in the yard with them when they range. I bet you can read lots of stories hre and there on predators. Neighborhood cats snatch any chick which escapes the safety of the run and the list goes on and on.

Thanks for the tip.  We are doing the skirt and folding and burying it.  Chicken math has gotten away from me so I'm trying to find a way to have more coops and not have to pen them up 24/7.

U can build a large run for your chickens from a chain link fence and bury chicken wire under that. Also make sure u have a good thick secure roof to it. Like outdoor shade screen. Also u can make ur coop out of a medal or wood shed and make a few windows or add a small ac /heat unit to keep it warm and cool in the elements. And the coyotes cant get in. U can make a dog door size hole in the back of the shed leading to the run and add a dog door flap if u use a ac/ heat unit.
These r some of rhe things i have done and researched. I live in maricopa city with lots of coyotes

Just stopping in to say hi! It's been busy so I haven't had much time. My pullets are starting to lay and the old girls weren't pulling their weight so I processed four old hens and 12 quail this week. The feed bill is going to be much less this month! @cyborg I'm going to try canning the meat. I'm hoping it turns out tasty!

Hi, I'm new to raising Chickens here in Phoenix. I'm in North Phx with a pack of coyotes living around us. Would they come up next to the house to steal chickens? I plan on putting a coop up near my back window, and will secure it. Do coyotes eat chickens during the day? I'm guessing so, lol. Maybe a rooster will help deter it?
Hi PhxChickens. Coyotes are bad here too. Here is a pic of our first line of defense.
The corrugated iron is buried half its depth into the ground around the covered runs and also around the base of the chicken house. Don't know if you can see it but it is also buried below the door frame. We have also added a large uncovered perimeter run so they can free range in a "safe" area during the day. The idea was given to us by someone who lives with even more coyotes than us. It works for them. Will try to explain and will try to get a pic when it stops raining.

First we put in 4 ft T posts with welded wire field fencing. Then to each T post we attached the 8' grey electric conduit (supposedly stands the sun better than regular PVC) and then added chicken wire to the top section and wired the top to the bottom. Therefore the top section is quite floppy. The theory behind this is that if the coyote tries to jump over, it gets no purchase because of the floppiness. You could also bury chicken wire at the base, but we did not.

Our cat could climb this easily and the floppiness did not bother him. Hope this helps

Hi, I'm new to raising Chickens here in Phoenix.  I'm in North Phx with a pack of coyotes living around us.  Would they come up next to the house to steal chickens?  I plan on putting a coop up near my back window, and will secure it.  Do coyotes eat chickens during the day?  I'm guessing so, lol.  Maybe a rooster will help deter it?  

Oh my goodness, yes. And I wouldn't rely on a rooster. You need heavy wire, chicken wire only keeps chicken in, doesn't keep predators out. Put a skirt of wire out 2' around the perimeter also to keep them from digging under. Once you start keeping chickens, the predators will come.

X2!!! They love chicken for breakfast,lunch and dinner.. So do neighborhood dog's, hawks... Along with fox.. They can jump, climb a 8-10 foot wall.. Look under the BYC coop designs. Some have built a underground wire area to prevent them from digging threw.. ANG

Just stopping in to say hi!  It's been busy so I haven't had much time.  My pullets are starting to lay and the old girls weren't pulling their weight so I processed four old hens and 12 quail this week.  The feed bill is going to be much less this month!  @cyborg
I'm going to try canning the meat.  I'm hoping it turns out tasty!

Yummy chicken salad sandwich.. :frow

Hi, I'm new to raising Chickens here in Phoenix. I'm in North Phx with a pack of coyotes living around us. Would they come up next to the house to steal chickens? I plan on putting a coop up near my back window, and will secure it. Do coyotes eat chickens during the day? I'm guessing so, lol. Maybe a rooster will help deter it?
Hi PhxChickens. Coyotes are bad here too. Here is a pic of our first line of defense. The corrugated iron is buried half its depth into the ground around the covered runs and also around the base of the chicken house. Don't know if you can see it but it is also buried below the door frame. We have also added a large uncovered perimeter run so they can free range in a "safe" area during the day. The idea was given to us by someone who lives with even more coyotes than us. It works for them. Will try to explain and will try to get a pic when it stops raining. First we put in 4 ft T posts with welded wire field fencing. Then to each T post we attached the 8' grey electric conduit (supposedly stands the sun better than regular PVC) and then added chicken wire to the top section and wired the top to the bottom. Therefore the top section is quite floppy. The theory behind this is that if the coyote tries to jump over, it gets no purchase because of the floppiness. You could also bury chicken wire at the base, but we did not. Our cat could climb this easily and the floppiness did not bother him. Hope this helps
Never had cats bother our flock. But I guess I'm only talking about neighbor cats.. Now this brat, Julie has been around our flock when they free range. She has never bothered the baby chicks. But as soon as I put this gilded flicker in this cage her curiosity was high..

Looking for fertile eggs for an Ag class at San Carlos Secondary-kids can keep anything as they are on a reservation. Please PM me if you have something you could contribute. Thanks!

I'm looking for any duck breeders in Arizona. Does anyone have a list somewhere? I am especially looking for call ducks, but would be happy to know of any duck breeders who sell hatching eggs. Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom