Arizona Chickens

Posted in emergency, but thought I'd post a picture. Thoughts?

Did you get this figured out? How are your pullets doing tonight?

5 chicks hatched, 1 died. I have them in a brooder. I had to remove them from the hen right after hatching. 4 more eggs to go. Not seeing activity from them yet.

Last edited:
I have 3 naked neck chicks for sale in Globe area if anyone is interested. $4 each or all three for $10

Also, I have a Silkie rooster that either needs a home or someone to show me how to process it. (Seriously, anyone in Mesa/Apache

Junction/Queen Creek or closer to Globe know how to process a chicken and is willing to show me? You can keep the meat from him if so)

Saturday afternoon I went out to the smaller of my grow-out pens to discover a 4-5 foot long red racer snake in the outdoor pen, trying to find her way out while the chicks (4 & 6 weeks old) running all around her.

Yesterday I went down to my wood shop to discover yet another swarm of bees merrily making its new home right above one of my toolboxes.

Nature kicked my butt this past weekend.
th.gif

Saturday afternoon I went out to the smaller of my grow-out pens to discover a 4-5 foot long red racer snake in the outdoor pen, trying to find her way out while the chicks (4 & 6 weeks old) running all around her. 

Yesterday I went down to my wood shop to discover yet another swarm of bees merrily making its new home right above one of my toolboxes. 

Nature kicked my butt this past weekend. :th

No snake problems yet, mice instead. A snake or 2 would be welcome. I also just had to remove a bees nest from my router table cabinet. Afterwards, I taped up all the holes in the cabinet doors they were using for access.

Nature kicked my butt this past weekend. :th

We haven't had any snakes yet, but bees for sure! We found this last night in one of our trees!!

We haven't had any snakes yet, but bees for sure! We found this last night in one of our trees!!
Geeze-o-whiz, that's not a pretty sight at all! So far I've only had a rat jump out of one of my compost piles when I took a cover off last week, and a couple of snakes around the yard but nothing anywhere near the coop/run.

On another note, can anyone tell me where roosters are legal to have in the state? Up to this point all the zoning I looked at in Maricopa county and the cities says "no roosters". Unlike back east I don't believe there's a "agricultural" zone; I've only seen residential, business, and open space, and I believe you have to apply for open space zoning. I'd love to breed a couple of chicken varieties in the future but I can't find anyplace where that would be legal. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it.

Hey all! I am on the Mesa/ AJ line here! Unfortunately my Golden Campine "pullet" started crowing with VOLUME this morning. He is only 6 weeks old, so I have another month before I can report him to the company I got him from and get my money back. Is there anyone that would be interested in trading for either a Marans or Cream Legbar pullet around the same age after I report him? I would like something other than light brown in my egg basket when the rest start laying. He should be show quality.

Back
Top Bottom