Arizona Chickens

Do any of you in AZ do chicken therapy...as in taking them to hospitals, old folks homes, etc? I read up on it since I never got in to chickens for the eggs or meat. Just going to have 3 spoiled rotten chickens till they die. Seems like it's a doable thing after they are a year old. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has tried it or known someone that did.
neighbor has 8 year old flock of geriatric chickens lol his girlfriend won't let him cull

Ok, Delta on left, Emily on Right Delta: Delta: Emily: Emily: And one of Padre(my tagged early as a male) just because he felt left out :gig
It's hard to tell.. Take a photo of the top back.. You can see the saddle feathers.. EE cockerel's comb is so small.. The redness is another indicator.. The 2 that are crowing, is their comb more red?

We don't miss our cockerel's.. Our 4 plus year old Clair has taken over with a cockle doodle do every morning..

Our 1st dude was a partridge silkie.. Clark Kent.. Then his son, Clark Jr. Then Bert the isbar..

What do you think #1 cockerel?? l What do you think - #2 cockerel?? I say yes to one and maybe to two but they fight like cockerels. They are about 10 weeks old now. It's hard to tell at that age.. Those saddle feather are a good sign, before a crow.. Then if you really want to keep him do the no crow collar.. It worked for 2 of our dudes..

From what I understand about EEs. If its black & white it is a roo typically. And their combs will be three rows instead of the typical two rows of a pullet. Also they will be red a lot younger than the females. I hope that helps a bit.

It's hard to tell.. Take a photo of the top back.. You can see the saddle feathers.. EE cockerel's comb is so small.. The redness is another indicator.. The 2 that are crowing, is their comb more red?
I will do this tomorrow, but yes, Delta's is pretty much as red as Padre's now, though the middle still seems higher than the sides. The remaining one is a little more pale, and almost nothing on the sides other than a few small bumps.

Did they say straight run when you bought them? I bet they will take them back..
No, they said "Ameraucana Pullets". I knew that it was unlikely they were true Ameraucanas, but was ok with that. Not ok with them all or most being boys though. They seemed pretty unorganized there and I would probably not go there again even if I was in the neighborhood ;) Of course, I'm still a sucker and Chicken math still gets me sometimes so I couldn't guarantee anything....
lau.gif

I will do this tomorrow, but yes, Delta's is pretty much as red as Padre's now, though the middle still seems higher than the sides. The remaining one is a little more pale, and almost nothing on the sides other than a few small bumps.

No, they said "Ameraucana Pullets". I knew that it was unlikely they were true Ameraucanas, but was ok with that. Not ok with them all or most being boys though. They seemed pretty unorganized there and I would probably not go there again even if I was in the neighborhood ;) Of course, I'm still a sucker and Chicken math still gets me sometimes so I couldn't guarantee anything....
lau.gif
Funny!! Mine were pullets also from Cal Ranch and they were marked Araucana - I argued with them for a bit saying they weren't ......they were either Americaunas or Easter Eggers. I could see their muffs and beards and one was working on a "tail" nub!! I still got three - one was culled relatively early - just a weak chick. Now it looks like both pullets could be roosters!! I've got pics as I'm working on getting my money back for high end birds when I have mutts - mutts that I like of course but mutts just the same!!

Funny!!  Mine were pullets also from Cal Ranch and they were marked Araucana - I argued with them for a bit saying they weren't ......they were either Americaunas or Easter Eggers.  I could see their muffs and beards and one was working on a "tail" nub!!  I still got three - one was culled relatively early - just a weak chick.  Now it looks like both pullets could be roosters!!  I've got pics as I'm working on getting my money back for high end birds when I have mutts - mutts that I like of course but mutts just the same!!  
You would think a feed store would know the difference. Especially Araucana!

Back
Top Bottom