Arizona Chickens

Oh no! This is the third hen that I've purchased that has turned into a rooster! Anyone want a rooster? I already have one and this one has been pecking my hen so bad she's missing all her back feathers.
I have a lot of spare hens 12 weeks old. Golden sex links I bought on straight run. All are hens..lol just don't buy white ones. I can spare some at 10$ each. Give you 5$ credit for your roo. He is gorgeous. I am in Casa Grande that's not far from Mesa. I have 22 hens so plenty to choose from. I also guarantee a hen. I have other breeds about same age almost 60 birds now so I can spare some hens.

Last edited:
Slow hatch?
I was beginning to believe the entire hatch was a bust, but left the incubator on anyway. Yesterday (Sunday) was day 22, and finally 3 hatched, 2 barred rocks, and a sexlink/RIR cross. When I got home at 5AM this morning, they had a new friend, another barred rock. I crashed and burned for a few hours, and when I woke up at 11AM, there were 4 more, for a total of 8 out of 22 eggs. Today is day 23, and I've never had a hatch go this late or long. What's up with this? And, how long should I wait before calling the rest duds?

UPDATE: Evening of day 23, another BR has hatched, and 3 more pipping. Why so late?

Last edited:
Slow hatch?
I was beginning to believe the entire hatch was a bust, but left the incubator on anyway. Yesterday (Sunday) was day 22, and finally 3 hatched, 2 barred rocks, and a sexlink/RIR cross. When I got home at 5AM this morning, they had a new friend, another barred rock. I crashed and burned for a few hours, and when I woke up at 11AM, there were 4 more, for a total of 8 out of 22 eggs. Today is day 23, and I've never had a hatch go this late or long. What's up with this? And, how long should I wait before calling the rest duds?

UPDATE: Evening of day 23, another BR has hatched, and 3 more pipping. Why so late?

Don't know, but congratulations! Wonder if there's a new calibration issue with your incubator? Could be a degree or two low. I had a hatch this spring where the eggs from one breeding pair hatched on time and the eggs from the other pair hatched a day or two later. They were all in the same incubator at the same time. Guess they didn't read the textbooks.

Enjoy your chicks!

OK, here's a pic, still holding at 9 with 3 pipping. Temp at 99.4 and 58% humidity.

Still having problems uploading a pic. I will try outside.

The thermometer may need calibrating. I hate it when chicks pip but can't get themselves out of the shell. Have rescued some of them but they often have other issues and wind up getting culled later. Hope yours eventually make it out.

My Jubilee Orphington started laying yesterday I went out in the coop to find what I thought was a fairy egg (And due to the heat I wouldnt have been surprised) but when I realized I have 5 brown egg layers, and I saw 5 normal browns and a tiny 6th brown, I knew it could only be true ^-^

so YAY! my butt hole bird is no longer a free loader!

It would really stink because she is really pretty and I would hate to have to butcher because she is not a layer :/ my dad said he didn't care HOW rare XD he was gonna make her into buffalo chicken tenders if she didn't start laying soon.

OK, here's a pic, still holding at 9 with 3 pipping. Temp at 99.4 and 58% humidity.

Still having problems uploading a pic. I will try outside.

The thermometer may need calibrating. I hate it when chicks pip but can't get themselves out of the shell. Have rescued some of them but they often have other issues and wind up getting culled later. Hope yours eventually make it out.

Well, I have 3 thermometers on this thing, (digital, analog, and glass tube) and they all read within a degree of each other. Only one hygrometer, though. Pippers haven't done much, so I'm getting ready to help them out if I can.

Last edited:
Slow hatch?

I like to check with multiple thermometers then average the readings.

Check out the passionfruit I got from the vine that I got from gallo in Tucson! It's the second summer in the ground and it's producing fruit now. I got to taste a couple and they are way better than any store bought passionfruit I've tasted. I was in doubt if it was going to pass the taste test so it gets to stay in the yard, otherwise it would have been replaced by grapevines.

Back
Top Bottom