Arizona Chickens

Haha pretty sure it wasn't for dinner. I looked his number up using Facebook and he doesn't look like someone wanting to buy my young, skinny rooster for dinner. His pictures definitely looked like he was in a gang. It seemed very clear he wanted it for other purposes. When I told him I already sold it he sent me an emoji flipping me off. Very classy...
Yeah, I agree with your suspicions. I know a lot of people that don't have other chickens but offer to buy live chickens (broilers) I'm raising so they can BBQ, so while I'd probably say the average person wanting just "live chickens" and not specifically cocks is likely wanting supper, but anyone specifically requesting cocks is more than likely wanting it for cock fighting. I'm no expert on criminal lawy or anything but if it were me I'd probably just let it end there since no crime was committed (he didn't say he wanted it for cock fighting and you didn't see any evidence), and especially because you already gave him your address. As much as I love birds I'd have to weigh the cost-benefit of reporting it to law enforcement and ask yourself if it's worth doing it over a chicken. You could report it to the ASPCA and let them decide what to do since I'm sure they have experience with this kinda stuff and would know the best way to proceed that takes your safety into account. If you didn't already give him your address I wouldn't think twice to call the police or sheriff.

Yeah, I agree with your suspicions. I know a lot of people that don't have other chickens but offer to buy live chickens (broilers) I'm raising so they can BBQ, so while I'd probably say the average person wanting just "live chickens" and not specifically cocks is likely wanting supper, but anyone specifically requesting cocks is more than likely wanting it for cock fighting. I'm no expert on criminal lawy or anything but if it were me I'd probably just let it end there since no crime was committed (he didn't say he wanted it for cock fighting and you didn't see any evidence), and especially because you already gave him your address. As much as I love birds I'd have to weigh the cost-benefit of reporting it to law enforcement and ask yourself if it's worth doing it over a chicken. You could report it to the ASPCA and let them decide what to do since I'm sure they have experience with this kinda stuff and would know the best way to proceed that takes your safety into account. If you didn't already give him your address I wouldn't think twice to call the police or sheriff. 
That's exactly what I decided to do. I shouldn't have given him my address but I didn't get suspicious until after I gave him my address. I decided not to report it but I was definitely irritated and sad that this sport is happening in Arizona.

That's exactly what I decided to do. I shouldn't have given him my address but I didn't get suspicious until after I gave him my address. I decided not to report it but I was definitely irritated and sad that this sport is happening in Arizona.
when roosters sell for 600$ it's not too hard to figure that there is cockfighting happening. Some people do not love animals

Last edited:
Cock fighting is illegal in AZ BUT just a short distance away is New Mexico where I believe it might still be legal. I didn't double check my info as I've been out of law enforcement for a few years since retirement. It will always grate on our psyches...........

Cock fighting is illegal in AZ BUT just a short distance away is New Mexico where I believe it might still be legal. I didn't double check my info as I've been out of law enforcement for a few years since retirement. It will always grate on our psyches...........

Not to mention it's still legal in Mexico, and we're really not far from the border.

I still remember the first poultry show I ever went to at the Pima County fairgrounds. Rows and rows of beautiful birds, and then a large section where the caged birds were spaced out with at least 2 feet between each cage on all size, and the entire area was surrounded by Hispanic men. When I asked one of the judges we're acquainted with what the deal was, he scowled heavily and said, "Mexican cock fights". My husband and I still walked through to examine all the gorgeous birds. They were quite impressive, but the whole experience made me feel a bit sad.

Has anyone else had chickens die out of no where lately? I went out of town, and the person that was watching my birds said that when she opened up the coop in he mornings, she found 3 dead hens just laying on the floor. I don't think it is from heat because she closes them up at 8:00 pm and then let's them out at 6:30 am. Any ideas?

Has anyone else had chickens die out of no where lately? I went out of town, and the person that was watching my birds said that when she opened up the coop in he mornings, she found 3 dead hens just laying on the floor. I don't think it is from heat because she closes them up at 8:00 pm and then let's them out at 6:30 am. Any ideas?

The only chicken I've lost was definitely from heat stroke.

Without doing a necropsy it is hard to say what killed them. At this time of year I would suspect heat and humidity, unless there was some illness running through the flock.

You might not have enough ventilation for your coop. I haven't had a problem, but my coop/run setups are super-ventilated (more wire than solid, but also lots of shade). I am southwest of Tucson. We've had a couple of days over 115 degrees at my place. There have already been a couple of nights when it was still well over 80 degrees at 2:30 am. Also, at this time of year the sun has been up for over an hour by 6:30 am and it is already getting hot. The heat came on fast this year and the chickens did not have much time to acclimate to it. So heat could definitely be a factor.

Another issue may be the humidity. The combination of heat and humidity is hard on chickens. Even though the temps have not been as high this week as they were last week, the humidity is higher and that may be causing your birds problems. Especially when they are locked up in the coop. Especially if the coop does not have sufficient ventilation.

Ventilation, shade, and lots of water are absolute necessities for chickens in Arizona.

Good luck.

Without doing a necropsy it is hard to say what killed them. At this time of year I would suspect heat and humidity, unless there was some illness running through the flock.

You might not have enough ventilation for your coop. I haven't had a problem, but my coop/run setups are super-ventilated (more wire than solid, but also lots of shade). I am southwest of Tucson. We've had a couple of days over 115 degrees at my place. There have already been a couple of nights when it was still well over 80 degrees at 2:30 am. Also, at this time of year the sun has been up for over an hour by 6:30 am and it is already getting hot. The heat came on fast this year and the chickens did not have much time to acclimate to it. So heat could definitely be a factor.

Another issue may be the humidity. The combination of heat and humidity is hard on chickens. Even though the temps have not been as high this week as they were last week, the humidity is higher and that may be causing your birds problems. Especially when they are locked up in the coop. Especially if the coop does not have sufficient ventilation.

Ventilation, shade, and lots of water are absolute necessities for chickens in Arizona.

Good luck.
I totally agree......most likely heat and humidity.

I lost a hen about a week ago, and believe it was from the heat. It got really hot real fast that day. I put in a mister in the run right away, with one of those sunscreens over the top and sides of the area. I haven't lost any since, and now there is a small puddle of water under the misters that they can walk through. Walking through that water also helps to keep them cooler.

Back
Top Bottom