Arizona Chickens

No Maran blood. Most of the barring comes from crossing with one of my White Rock hens, who happens to carry the barring gene even though she doesn't personally show any barring in her plumage. She's given me some outstandingly meaty NNs that are also great layers and really beautiful. This is one of my favorite hens from that crossing:

Trixie: She lays a deep teal/blue/green egg.
View attachment 1120248

I've also crossed a few of my birds with my Bielefelders since they are NOT heat tolerant at all, but are exceptionally sweet, friendly birds. That cross of NN/Biel gave me hens that are not only much, much more heat tolerant, but also quite large and meaty and excellent layers of medium-dark brown eggs, though not as dark as most Maran eggs. And my NN/Biel crosses are some of the friendliest hens on my property after my Biel rooster, Bosch, who's a total lover and lap chicken. (He literally runs across the yard just so he can jump on my lap and snuggle in against my shoulder.)
Can you tell the sex when the Bielfelders mixes hatch? Sounds like cool eggs!

o and i meant to tell you that i had been interested in cream legbars for the auto sexing angle & those beautiful blue eggs, but i had read that after 2 years they stop laying , have you had that experience with yours..? its amazing you have so many of the breeds i have been looking into lately and we don't live to far from each other either, :clap and thanks for your recipes, i also do every thing all natural & organic as possible so cooking from scratch is the base of a healthy life ,:thumbsup, so hey DesertChic i gotta say ,you got it going on....!:thumbsup :D :woot
The auto-sexing sounds cool, but I wonder if I could really cull the roosters at day one. Chicks are so cute!

The auto-sexing sounds cool, but I wonder if I could really cull the roosters at day one. Chicks are so cute!
:goodpost:
yes me to , that was my original problem , then i read the cream legbars laid beautiful blue eggs and that would make it easy for me to know who laid that egg HA right...lol... then the prices i found on line were prohibitive...HA some thing like 2 pullets & one cockeral 3 birds for $120.00 ,if memory serves me right..? plus extra for shipping sooo all of that ended my interest at the time with cream leg bars, and i still today would love to know more about them. they seem the perfect breed , and are cute to boot..! :D;):thumbsup

:goodpost:
yes me to , that was my original problem , then i read the cream legbars laid beautiful blue eggs and that would make it easy for me to know who laid that egg HA right...lol... then the prices i found on line were prohibitive...HA some thing like 2 pullets & one cockeral 3 birds for $120.00 ,if memory serves me right..? plus extra for shipping sooo all of that ended my interest at the time with cream leg bars, and i still today would love to know more about them. they seem the perfect breed , and are cute to boot..! :D;):thumbsup
I have seen some in our local Craig's List. Not that expensive, nobody wants "used" chickens! I enjoy reading the ads. They are layers, smaller like a leghorn. I am leaning towards a more dual-purpose. DesertChick's mixes seem like good AZ chickens. I want some that can take the heat, if I have to sell some. I know what happens when you get a "few" chickens!

well about that consider that the male chicks can be sold at a good profit...! to sell as day old chicks unlike the other breeds that are not auto sexing its many weeks before some breeders can tell for sure which of the chicks are the boys, so much time & work wasted ...! but eating them, no way or culling them would be a bit costly considering the price for either males or females day olds of this breed..!! since the prices i saw on line for those babies was $ around 120.00 for 3 chicks not including shipping..! i figured it out to be some thing like 179.00 for the 3 chicks shipped, , and then start praying they will live to adults not knowing if they would live long enough to breed more of them , golly gee i don't like gambling and that seems like gambling to me ...lol... HA am i right:highfive: :D ;) :lol::lau :p

Last edited:
well about that consider that the male chicks can be sold at a good profit...! to sell as day old chicks unlike the other breeds that are not auto sexing its many weeks before some breeders can tell for sure which of the chicks are the boys, so much time & work wasted ...! but eating them, no way or culling them would be a bit costly considering the price for either males or females day olds of this breed..!! since the prices i saw on line for those babies was $ around 120.00 for 3 chicks no including shipping..! i figured it out to be some thing like 179.00 for the 3 , and then start praying they will live to adults not knowing if they would live long enough to breed more of them , golly gee i don't like gambling and that seems like gambling to me ...lol... HA am i right:highfive: :D ;) :lol::lau :p
I saw them on Greenfire's website, male $19.00 female $29.00. I would never pay that kind of money to a craig's-lister. You have to discount for the serious lack of reputation! But, if they are a reputable person on here, that would be different.

exactly
I saw them on Greenfire's website, male $19.00 female $29.00. I would never pay that kind of money to a craig's-lister. You have to discount for the serious lack of reputation! But, if they are a reputable person on here, that would be different.
exactly right about that. i would never trust any craig's-list ads , because who knows are you really buying a real cream leg bar...??? i looked around and found them for sale from 2 of the hatcheries for like $29.00 each girl & the boys a bit less ,like you wrote, but then shipping and i would want 3 of each to make sure you i would end up with at least 4 live adults end result so yes indeed DesertChick is the best place for all of us here in AZ , and as for me i would love to see DesertChick's foundation birds :woot but logically heat tolerant birds are top choice for me living here in AZ:thumbsup ;) :)

I was at ACE on 22nd today and they have a HUGE shipment of day olds right now, including OLIVE EGGERS, SALMON FAVROLES, SEBRIGHTS, LAVENDER ORPHINGTONS, AND POLISH OF BEARDED AND NON BEARDED VARIETIES . if anyone was looking.

I seriously almost brought some salmon favrolles home today, but after that flock down size my mother said she would take a flame torch to them If I did.

OHHHH it was so hard to leave the cut elittle vanilla bearded babied behind...

I was at ACE on 22nd today and they have a HUGE shipment of day olds right now, including OLIVE EGGERS, SALMON FAVROLES, SEBRIGHTS, LAVENDER ORPHINGTONS, AND POLISH OF BEARDED AND NON BEARDED VARIETIES . if anyone was looking.

I seriously almost brought some salmon favrolles home today, but after that flock down size my mother said she would take a flame torch to them If I did.

OHHHH it was so hard to leave the cut elittle vanilla bearded babied behind...

I didn't know ace sells chick's which one?

I am never looking at chick's at tsc again everytime I do I see something tragic

Back
Top Bottom