Arizona Chickens

How long will a hen sit on eggs once a chick hatches?
I purchased fertile eggs for my broody, on the 25th, this should make the hatch day Friday, the 16th.
But this am I woke up to find a lonely chick 3days early with her.
Lumpy first hatch Sep12,17 (2).jpg
Lumpy first hatch Sep12,17 (3).jpg
I just don't want her to abandon the other eggs, it's sooooo close.

Mystery solved zombie chicken update

Last night while roosting Mohawks expelled a broken shell, etc.
She is doing much better today and I'm thankful she expelled it she's a large bird and I couldn't tell

I give them laying feed and always have access to oyster shells, but she just finished a molt so maybe that's why her she'll was too soft....

Are you absolutely sure she expelled a broken shell rather than expelling an egg that broke as it hit the ground? I've had a few girls do that and the flock is pretty quick to devour that egg. If you're absolutely sure it was only shell that she expelled, I'd still keep a very close eye on her and maybe even wait until night, put a glove on your hand, and palpate her to make sure everything's okay inside her.

And yes, when they've been molting it becomes much harder on them to produce and lay eggs properly. I have on girl in severe molt right now that lays more eggs without shells than ones with them, no matter how much calcium she eats. I'm feeding her raw meat treats to help her grow new feathers more quickly.

How long will a hen sit on eggs once a chick hatches?
I purchased fertile eggs for my broody, on the 25th, this should make the hatch day Friday, the 16th.
But this am I woke up to find a lonely chick 3days early with her. View attachment 1135120 View attachment 1135119
I just don't want her to abandon the other eggs, it's sooooo close.

I've had broodys sit on unhatched eggs for a few days after the first chicks had hatched. Once I booted a broody off the remaining eggs after 2-3 days because her chicks were starting to look stressed and nothing else had pipped. (Those chicks weren't early.) Keep an eye on the chick. Keep chick feed and water right near the nest so mama doesn't have to take the chick too far away to find food. If the eggs are that close to hatching she will probably want to sit tight. If it has been as warm where you are as it has been here, I would expect an early hatch.

I
I've had broodys sit on unhatched eggs for a few days after the first chicks had hatched. Once I booted a broody off the remaining eggs after 2-3 days because her chicks were starting to look stressed and nothing else had pipped. (Those chicks weren't early.) Keep an eye on the chick. Keep chick feed and water right near the nest so mama doesn't have to take the chick too far away to find food. If the eggs are that close to hatching she will probably want to sit tight. If it has been as warm where you are as it has been here, I would expect an early hatch.
I hope so... I really want the BCM eggs I bought for her to hatch...

Anyone around the valley have Svarts either laying or near point of lay? My Svart started crowing this morning, so I seriously doubt he'll be giving me any eggs. :) Also looking for a good home for him if anyone's interested.
_DSC1358-Edit.jpg
_DSC1314-Edit.jpg

My HOA fees are only $26/month, but I went around the block up to Los Reales Road, and a wild Havelina walked in front of me while I was driving. No telling what else could be out there.
That wild javelina may have been someones escaped pet. :lau They make a good pig roast. Not too large. How does your HOA protect you from these???

And yes, when they've been molting it becomes much harder on them to produce and lay eggs properly. I have on girl in severe molt right now that lays more eggs without shells than ones with them, no matter how much calcium she eats. I'm feeding her raw meat treats to help her grow new feathers more quickly.
Very good idea. In the absence of raw meat, which I like to throw on the grill for myself, I give some cat food to my hens during molting. I did say SOME. Cat food and dog which I always have on hand is higher in protein than chicken feed. Too much and the excess protein tends to make runny stools.

@DesertChic I'm sure I've had soft eggs and broken ones this was different, plus my girls always leaves their egg mistakes I saw her still roosting in the morning and she was singing her egg song so I think she knew what happened sorta

She's still a bit pale but acting all normal and eating normally

I had my girl punky break an egg, it was hanging from her vent and we had to help her expelled it last month so I knew what the expelling would look like

ATTENTION!!!

https://tucson.craigslist.org/grd/6305200285.html

SELLING MY ENTIRE CHICKEN SET UP FOR AN AMAZING DEAL!!

Because I am moving out and my parents will be unable to care for my chickens, I am selling them, their coop, and many other things related for a very very cheaop price!! AND we will transport majority of the stuff!!
So Sorry... But you will have chickens again in the future!

Back
Top Bottom