Arizona Chickens

One o
@BlueBaby it could be that it hurts her, (punky) she is molting too, he over mated her this spring I think and freaked her out, then my hen (goldie) who's lowest peck order noticed her weakness and challenged her and now bullies her bc she's(goldie) bullied by everyone else.. I don't know...

tonight I was bending over the feed and she got scared of Roo and screaming jumped on my back I had the hardest time getting her off safely :eek:
F my ladies jumps on my back all the time if I bend over. I just slowly straighten and show walks up to my shoulder then I take her off

ok, my first time with chickens molting do they get really standoffish and rude all the sudden? lol none of my girls want to cuddle and they act scared of me... crazies!!

chickens are so tempermental, but this has gone on for awhile, but as soon as cheese comes in the picture i get them surrounding me or if they are having a hard time going to bed bc of a bully who do they look to, to help them up on the roost? Mama that's who but noooo no more cuddle babies all rude teenagers with attitude!! lol :p

Only my most affectionate birds still want to be handled at all when molting. It's very hard on their poor bodies. One of my girls lost so much weight during the process I actually thought she was sick and on death's door. She walked like a drunk and would actually fall over if she tried to preen. It's been positively heartbreaking to watch. But after a few days of isolation and feeding her fresh, raw meat along with her regular feed plus some extra vitamins in her water and her feathers are almost completely regrown and she's regained most of her balance. Now I just hope she puts the weight back on. There's no way her skinny little body could handle laying eggs with as emaciated as she became.

Need more chicken folks here! When I drive the out of town neighborhoods that allow roosters, I hardly see any chickens!

That's the truth. I'm luck to live where I do for now because my two closest neighbors either used to raise chickens or still do. It's zones agricultural here, but there are still "city folks" who move to the area and then complain about the sound of roosters crowing and the smell from my neighbor's horses. And now...the non-buildable "flood plain" area has been sold to a developer who wants to put in some cookie-cutter housing. Yeah...great. I'm sure there will be complaints about my roosters as soon as the first house is built.

That's the truth. I'm luck to live where I do for now because my two closest neighbors either used to raise chickens or still do. It's zones agricultural here, but there are still "city folks" who move to the area and then complain about the sound of roosters crowing and the smell from my neighbor's horses. And now...the non-buildable "flood plain" area has been sold to a developer who wants to put in some cookie-cutter housing. Yeah...great. I'm sure there will be complaints about my roosters as soon as the first house is built.
What really gets me going is that the developer of some areas around here, put in big 2 acre lots, named it "American Ranch" and you can have up to 4 horses, but only 8 chickens, not even 1 rooster! This is in the county, too.

Back
Top Bottom