Arizona Chickens

So is the taste of rooster any different, or are all the store chickens a mix of both sexes? I guess i always assumed they were only hens.
The chicken in the store is both sexes. They are only 6 weeks old, the roosters don't even know they are roosters yet. They all taste like chicken, our BYC tastes extra chicken-y. We Backyarder's like our hens and do not eat them often! Roosters are another story. If they get very much past the age when they start to crow they get tough. (My little Barred Hollands are only 2 pounds and 8 weeks old, and one is already trying to crow)! You have to stew them or roast them slow when they are older than about 14-16 weeks, and most people now just do not even know how to cook them. I like them pressure cooked.
They are sometimes the cutest thing when they are chicks. Us who really like our birds, like roosters if they are not too annoying! The males have the most beautiful feathers. A docile male that is neutered, is a capon. I want to try them.

The chicken in the store is both sexes. They are only 6 weeks old, the roosters don't even know they are roosters yet. They all taste like chicken, our BYC tastes extra chicken-y. We Backyarder's like our hens and do not eat them often! Roosters are another story. If they get very much past the age when they start to crow they get tough. (My little Barred Hollands are only 2 pounds and 8 weeks old, and one is already trying to crow)! You have to stew them or roast them slow when they are older than about 14-16 weeks, and most people now just do not even know how to cook them. I like them pressure cooked.
They are sometimes the cutest thing when they are chicks. Us who really like our birds, like roosters if they are not too annoying! The males have the most beautiful feathers. A docile male that is neutered, is a capon. I want to try them.
I didn't realize they were so young from the store!! I guess i was thinking of the meat from a hen vs rooster at an older age. But yea, little ones wouldn't be any different. Id totally be interested in a capon rooster!! But your comment puts a 6 week bantam size in perspective!

My little daisy is definitely the current substitute rooster. She yells loud and everyone follows her instructions (including me so i can keep her quiet)!

Speaking of quiet, the police finally got through my neighbors thick skulls.. it doesnt sound like i live next to junkyard dogs anymore!! So quiet, i hope i don't jinx it writing this!!

I didn't realize they were so young from the store!! I guess i was thinking of the meat from a hen vs rooster at an older age. But yea, little ones wouldn't be any different. Id totally be interested in a capon rooster!! But your comment puts a 6 week bantam size in perspective!

My little daisy is definitely the current substitute rooster. She yells loud and everyone follows her instructions (including me so i can keep her quiet)!

Speaking of quiet, the police finally got through my neighbors thick skulls.. it doesnt sound like i live next to junkyard dogs anymore!! So quiet, i hope i don't jinx it writing this!!
Sad that some people are so inconsiderate that they force nice people to call the police.
A six week meat bird is nothing like a regular chicken, let alone your little bantams! I used to raise them, at 10 - 12 weeks they dressed out to over 10 pounds of tender roasting bird. That is why there is no market for capon, which can get to that size if you use the right breed, but it will take at least 6 to 8 months. Lots more feed to raise a capon, it is not possible to sell it and make money. I want to do it, and other hobby BYCer's want to do it, to have a backyard male I can raise to a decent size and eat when I want to.

Sad that some people are so inconsiderate that they force nice people to call the police.
A six week meat bird is nothing like a regular chicken, let alone your little bantams! I used to raise them, at 10 - 12 weeks they dressed out to over 10 pounds of tender roasting bird. That is why there is no market for capon, which can get to that size if you use the right breed, but it will take at least 6 to 8 months. Lots more feed to raise a capon, it is not possible to sell it and make money. I want to do it, and other hobby BYCer's want to do it, to have a backyard male I can raise to a decent size and eat when I want to.
Oh i was just envisioning myself doing that. 6 weeks to butcher would be feasible, but 6-8 months, and I'd be screaming, not Bubbles!!! 😭😭😭🤣

I was trying to come up with a way we could do something similar, hoa stealth mode. This area is so loud with birds, i was figuring i could cage a grains and veggie area to raise quail, and no one would know (can't be louder than the grackels nesting in every tree).. constant eggs and then process them all at once for the freezer, but i was discouraged due to their texas chainsaw massacre tendencies.

How to give have a heart attack first thing in the morning without even trying. Lucky, the chick who I didn't toss over the fence has earned himself a personal pile of scratch and a till "natural death" do we part place in the flock..lol.. He was in the main flock run, everyone is saying Bull Snake, so he's a good one, mice, small chicks and eggs, he can have all the mice he wants, my chicks stay in the house till hopefully they are to big for him to swallow and I'll sacrifice a couple of eggs just to keep him around.
1597857070323.png
1597857088497.png
1597857105122.png

starri33

If you remember this move, there was a scene where Clint shoots a snake, and brings it to Sarah, and said ,, "that snake is some fine eatin"
Here is a musical clip from that movie.
I enjoyed ALL Clint Eastwood movies. :thumbsup

Ennio Morricone:hit,miss him. A true musical legend, :love all his musical productions.
I think it is time to view that movie again. It has been a long time since I seen it.

Oh i was just envisioning myself doing that. 6 weeks to butcher would be feasible, but 6-8 months, and I'd be screaming, not Bubbles!!! 😭😭😭🤣

I was trying to come up with a way we could do something similar, hoa stealth mode. This area is so loud with birds, i was figuring i could cage a grains and veggie area to raise quail, and no one would know (can't be louder than the grackels nesting in every tree).. constant eggs and then process them all at once for the freezer, but i was discouraged due to their texas chainsaw massacre tendencies.
Texas Chainsaw? Quail? What am I missing in this picture?:oops:

You could get some CA Valley Quail and let them free range your yard. They are desert native birds! What HOA could complain? I never knew quail would do that.
Oh we already have quail running around everywhere, but those require specialty permits to have captive. The coturnix are the ones for backyard raising.. but yea, they are horrible to each other if one gets in a mood. I was excited about building out an enclosed habitat with lots of natural growing feed. But, I'll stick to eggs from my chickens. ☺

Back
Top Bottom