Arizona Chickens

This is no joke. Mexicans are notoriously enthusiastic about slaughtering chickens, sheep, goats etc. Consider chatting with the owner of a local carneceria ( Mexican butcher shop) or local charros ( cowboys) about doing the deed..... however, if you are a happy meat-eater and want to eat your chickens... learn how to do it humanely. It is not complicated... and is over very quickly.
Confidence and swift action are essential when dispatching live critters.
This is a big and rather loaded topic. The right ways and the wrong ways... etc.

thought i would qualify my comment ... i raise my hens for eggs only.... and have been a spiritual vegetarian and organic farmwoman since 1970. I have, however, shot many rabid and wounded animals, large and small during the decades. Field-dressing deer, cleaning fish and plucking fowl were invaluable lessons as an Indiana rural teen.... knowing what we can do if we must.

Little update on my Broody Mama that was attacked....

She's doing great! She can't wait to get out of her isolation booth, though. The blu kote has dried everything up and the wound looks 10 times better than when I found her. Last night when I was letting everyone else free range, she bawked and squawked asking me to let her out to run too.

I think I need to keep her isolated for a few more days, though. I worry about her getting picked on if she isn't fully healed.

Really, she's the biggest meany that we have, though. She used to peck and pick at EVERYONE. I'm secretly hoping this episode taught her what it was like to be the one getting pecked!

I see there's a Tack Swap and Farmer's Market at Marana Feeds tomorrow. I'm thinking about going to check it out. Anyone going to be there?

Well, looks like no one wants to process poultry in the Phoenix Area. I guess people are going to have to do it themselves. We used to do it on a small scale, two or three birds at a time.

Don't kill the bird until you are ready to process it. The feathers will set on one bird while you are plucking another.

Have every thing ready before you start. Knives sharpened, killing cone ready, water boiling. Make sure your help are dedicated to the task. You would be suprised how many people can find something else they have to do as soon as they realize the extent of the project.

I have to wonder what Hickman's does with their spent birds?

Re read butchering in "Story's Poultry."

Rufus

Last edited:
Does anyone near the glendale area sell hatchin or live BCM or know of someone who does .. ive been looking for these desperatly and cant find a decent breeder around here .. im really only interested in a very very small number likee ......................... 1 female
tongue.png
AHAH so if we are going with eggs id only want like 4 .. to make sure of atleast 1 female
big_smile.png
ill keep my fingers crossed
fl.gif

Yeah! I saw Pat's ad. I have gotten so much stuff from her including my last round of eggs for the bator. She's great! Doesn't look like I'l be able to go. Sushi last night gave me something very bad. I'm about ready to hit up urgent care.

Back
Top Bottom