Arizona Chickens

Hi! My family is right next to Cave Creek limits. When the daytime temp runs up to 95° and above, we kick in the misters (AeroMist). We've been running their cheapie system (150 psi) for 5 yrs but realized when we burned up pumps every 2 yrs that we probably need a better system. Will be installing a 300 psi system this spring. BUT it has helped them endure the daytime heat. We have lots of shade with our citrus trees too. However, if the temps do not drop below 85° by 21:00, we start bringing them in so they get a break from the heat and kennel them in our home to recover overnight. Leaving them out to try and pant thru the heat invites respiratory acidosis that quickly turns into pneumonia and death.

We do not turn out the chicks until they are 18 weeks and older just to make sure they get acclimated. This year, we did something different and purchased chicks in early June. They've been exclusively indoors but we were starting to put them outdoors in a run UNTIL a bobcat killed our mature hens recently. They still go outside but ONLY under supervision. Working on electrifying the tops of our block walls to see it that'll put an end to the predations.
Please check your local laws regarding electrifying top of walls (at property perimeter) - I checked that a couple years ago in Mesa and I believe at that time it was not legal. Also I checked laws if I could razor wire (or similar) top of walls and don't remember what I found out but decided not to do that since I didn't want to look like a prison complex where I am in a residential neighborhood. I think a hot wire that is inside my yard (not on my perimeter wall in Mesa) could be fine legally.

If electrifying not legal I would look into alternatives or combinations of alternatives like--
1) coyote rollers or the DIY versions --Not sure if it works for bobcats but maybe.
2) There's no law against prickly pears cactus or similar planted at walls (even in planters on top of walls maybe).
3) There may be motion activated sprinklers that could deter bobcat or other predators.
4) Pigeon spikes.
5) Height of your wall (how high can you go legally according to zoning law/structurally) and how high bobcat can scale without even touching the wall?
6) Extending something to just string yarn or wire in a web to make a psychological barrier to deter landing/launching at top of wall may help.

Last edited:
8 Bielefelder chicks
2 Bf/NN chicks
1 Roger/Cowgirl NN chick

We had electrical work/shutoff happening on Friday so I had incubator hooked up to generator waiting on 6 more to hatch - this was 2 days after hatch day as counted on the incubator. I didn't see any signs of movement or pipping on any of those 6 eggs so turned off incubator Friday early evening. When I cracked the eggs I found--
1 NN (never pipped) chick
3 Bf (never pipped) chicks from Bluebaby Bf eggs -- so all 8 left in incubator were actually fertile
1 of my Bf (never pipped) chicks -- all 4 of my Bf were actually fertile eggs
1 non-fertile Roger/Cowgirl egg

Sorry no update till now - my passwords/internet got messed up and then I was busy with chicks and more until now to try to fix anything. Also out of storage for pics on system I usually use so next fix is that (but not yet).
Did Roger and Cowgirl have any fertile eggs in there? They are getting older now.

Did Roger and Cowgirl have any fertile eggs in there? They are getting older now.
Yes I got one chick from them - yellow down with black spots so I'm hoping it's another hen just like Cowgirl - already have Cowgirl Jr so this will be Cowgirl the third!

The NN (never-pipped) chick was also Roger's with NN Blue hen - so he's still doing a fine job. I think I was collecting eggs when some were molting too so that's maybe why I had to clear out some early on that were infertile- they were focusing on feather growing not really making good eggs.

Last edited:
8 Bielefelder chicks
2 Bf/NN chicks
1 Roger/Cowgirl NN chick

We had electrical work/shutoff happening on Friday so I had incubator hooked up to generator waiting on 6 more to hatch - this was 2 days after hatch day as counted on the incubator. I didn't see any signs of movement or pipping on any of those 6 eggs so turned off incubator Friday early evening. When I cracked the eggs I found--
1 NN (never pipped) chick
3 Bf (never pipped) chicks from Bluebaby Bf eggs -- so all 8 left in incubator were actually fertile
1 of my Bf (never pipped) chicks -- all 4 of my Bf were actually fertile eggs
1 non-fertile Roger/Cowgirl egg

Sorry no update till now - my passwords/internet got messed up and then I was busy with chicks and more until now to try to fix anything. Also out of storage for pics on system I usually use so next fix is that (but not yet).
That's enough chicks to keep you busy! The cowgirl jr chick sounds adorable 😍

Bird flu is back among commercial poultry flocks in U.S.

By Dan Flynn on Oct 10, 2023 12:04 am
The break in the blue flu outbreak that began last April may be over. The first spread of the virus since then has occurred in a 47,300 flock of turkeys in South Dakota. The turkey farm in Jeruald County, SD, was forced to kill its flock to control the disease outbreak. Commercial flocks of U.S.... Continue Reading

Any reason for concern, or anything further to watch out for?

This is from my most consistent layer. She's 1 1/2 yrs old. She gives me an egg every day.

Attachments

• 20231011_111328.jpg
    20231011_111328.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom