Arizona Chickens

So sorry to hear about your Polish. Summer can be very hard on some chickens. I'm in Prescott and even though it is cooler here my chickens are suffering.

Mahonri: Yeah, it surprised me as well, you'd mentioned that there might be a problem with the Marans and Icelandic's fertillity, but I was amazed when none of them seemed to be fertile. Bad luck, I guess.

Quote:
Maybe I'll candle everything but the Marans on day 7 instead of day 10. Croaking from curiosity. Isn't that just awful of me?

On the plus side, the temp in the LG seems to be holding pretty steady this time around.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd suggest bringing her inside where it is cooler, and keeping her in a quiet, darker room. Gatorade or pedialyte would be good. Put food and water where she can get it without moving. Maybe hardboil and mash an egg for her.

If you want a chicken to eat a particular scorpion, cut off its tail stinger first. A number of years back a friend's chicken was stung by a scorpion and she ended up with a quite large vet bill.

Well, God bless your big ol' chicken lovin' hearts.
love.gif
I am just not that good. She does have water and food where she doesn't have to move, but the rest of these things fall under "heroic" for me. Especially the bringing her in the house. That would be over my proverbial dead body. Oh, and wow! You must really love your chickens to cut the stinger off of a scorpion for them. I would smash it before I would get close enough to cut off its tail. Usually they find their own scorpions. And there are plenty of them here. They will just have to take their chances with them.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness. She is recovering. She can walk now, but I am letting her stay on the patio one more night as she still prefers to sit. Probably still a little numb. She is eating and drinking and pooping. I will kick her out tomorrow.

Well, I don't go hunting scorpios for the birds--my typical scorpion weapon is a hammar, and I hunt them on the walls if I am out at night--just to get rid of them. I've occasionally hammered the tail and more or less smeared the end of it so there was no accidental stinging of anyone/anything--but that is only when there was a nearby bird eager for a treat. Usually the whole thing gets smashed. However, I readily bring birds in the house when I perceive a need.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes! I'll even give in and wear the mad scientist costume.
lol.png

How long is this class going to last? We have a beer making kit that I gave DH as a present many years ago--never used it
sad.png

Quote:
Wow... I'm glad Pastry mamas weren't clear.

Mahonri,
When they hatch
fl.gif
since you have that fancy schmancy new brooder and all, are you going to want the Icelandics or anything else? I can't wait to see that Polish X though. What is it crossed with? That egg is white and HUGE!!!! Praying the Marans hatch. I need to post that pic of Buckbeak for you. It's legs are soooo blue, it's weird. Pretty little chick if you can get past that beak!

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine generally aren't. What is your setup?

It's on my page. Lots of shade and water. However, the mister system was not on today due to a snafu. There are multiple water sources and they were free ranging today. They have 1/4 acre to roam on. Fresh green grass, water, pond, shade trees and bushes. We have never lost a chicken to the heat in 3 summers. But these Polish just drop dead.

It could have been a scorpion, I guess. But I know it was really HOT today. Darn it. She was the healthiest of the Polish girls.

Quote:
I have a lazy layer who might be a candidate for processing, and would like to see also.

As to where and when, Someone in Tucson needs to volunteer a largeish workspace (kitchen/dining area works well) and I think I can do it the 3rd or 4th week in July on a Sunday so DH can keep the kids.

YAY SOAP! McVision, do you charge for your classes, or does everyone chip in for supplies?

Back
Top Bottom