Arizona Chickens

Well, I seem to have a problem. About six weeks ago my wife gave my chickens to some lady she met in Wallyworld. The chickens were all seven or eight years old, so they would only lay once in a while. Their days in the sun were over.

The idea was that we would start over with a new batch of chicks when the weather cooled off.

Well yesterday I went to clean up the coop, and I discovered that a swarm of feral bees had set up house in my coop. They were not there on Friday, but they were there on Monday. I sat and watched them off and on all yesterday afternoon. They seemed pretty sedate to me. But when my son came home, they didn't like him at all.

I sure don't want to spray my coop with pesticide. Any suggestions?

I would advertise on CL, any other places you can think of for a beekeeper to come remove the swarm. Might also check with the permaculture group to see if any beekeepers there want to pick them up http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/

I have a question. I have a coop, 4x4 not including the nest boxes, inside an enclosed run. I just have an always open door for them to go in and out of the coop the size of a large dog door. Is it ok to have that large opening come the cold winter nights? Will they still be able to keep warm enough? Do I need to do anything different? The opening opens towards a block wall fence about a foot away or so. It is protected because the whole coop is in the corner with a block wall on two sides. In the summer they sleep on top of the coop but I blocked that off so they would sleep inside where it is warmer now that winter is coming.
The block wall will serve as a cold sink; you need to insulate between it and the coop. Consider hanging strips of clear vinyl that they can walk through as a doorway. That will allow them to enter and exit, but help hold in heat.

Quote: I totally agree about making the entire coop accessible! However, I also think that socializing the children can be useful.
lau.gif

Quote: We used to have bees try to set up a hive every year (and they WOULD get into the roof!
he.gif
barnie.gif
) We have also had bees migrating through. If they haven't moved on in a day, I would consider that they are setting up a new hive. The pesticides they use for bees are not likely to have a residual affect on chickens that are later housed in the coop. Especially since you won't be putting them out there for awhile.

I agree with everything Gallo said. DO NOT try to do it on your own! Most bees in Arizona should be considered Africanized. Did you hear about the climber who died on Camelback a couple of days ago? He was trying to escape bees; his hospitalized companions had at least 300 stings each.

i just had to "do the deed" and put down a duckling :hit   mama duck as of this morning had hatched out 4 ducklings, but when i went to check on them one duckling was just laying there half dead with it's entire foot gone and bleeding. it was still in the nest with her so i can only assume she did it. the fireman is at class so that left me to put the poor little thing out of its misery. omg, talk about water works! i took the other 3 babies from her and set up a brooder in the garage, made a hysterical phone call to laree and she will come get my ducklings this afternoon before i have a breakdown. crappy monday.
Awhee that is a real bummer !!!
Be strong girl... It is devastating finding them like that...
Our condolence's...

Hello everyone! I can't believe I found an AZ thread! Lucky day! I'm sorry about the duckling. I hope the rest of your week is especially great. I live near AJ, and don't have chicken's YET. I am building a coop; so far I've torn out a bush! I'm not looking forward to digging in the hard clay-like ground. If anyone has pullets of any breed in AJ, please PM me! I am very interested! Fertilized eggs, too. Keep the good tips coming! So far I've learned...

1. Chickens like yogurt and watermelon
2. Putting herbs in the nest boxes keeps bugs away
3. Chickens will eat pretty much anything, including their own raw eggs. (Not good)
4. There are a few more breeds of chickens than I thought. (Like 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 more)
5. Chickens die a lot

Thanks!
Rezia
Welcome. I live in Far East Mesa at Ellsworth and Gaudalupe. I have pullets but am seariously considering keeping them because we can't get ahead in the egg production.

Welcome to the AZ Forum. Great group of peeps here.

~Selina

Back
Top Bottom