artificial light causes pecking?

GarthRyan

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I've read that white artificial light sometimes causes pecking. Is this true? I would think that they would just think of it as normal daylight and not change their actions much.

In my experience, leaving a very bright light on continuously could cause cannibalism. But the low watt bulb that is required to increase their perception of "daylight". shouldn't affect them poorly at all. A 250w white bulb in a crowded space looks like cannibalism to me. A 60w bulb in a larger space should be fine.

Alright. I'm adding artificial light tomorrow for mine. Let's say for 2 or 3 hours in the morning it shouldn't bother them much should it? My hens have completely stopped laying and I don't think they're molting because they're only around 8 months old. Some of them have lost feathers due to rooster business though.

Alright. I'm adding artificial light tomorrow for mine. Let's say for 2 or 3 hours in the morning it shouldn't bother them much should it? My hens have completely stopped laying and I don't think they're molting because they're only around 8 months old. Some of them have lost feathers due to rooster business though.
Be aware that it can take several weeks for the extra light to induce laying.
Better to start the light in October and slowly increase it until you have 14 hours a day.

Thanks for the input. I got an egg today. That's the first in about a week. I still haven't put the lights up yet. Got busy with other stuff today but I'm about to go do it.

Back
Top Bottom